Founded in 2012, Ring was one of the first home security companies to sell doorbell cameras. The company started with a straightforward, no-frills approach to home security. Over the years, it has expanded to include a variety of home security products and several monitoring plans at reasonable prices. Ring stands out with 24-hour emergency support and a 30-second average call response time.
Keep reading this Ring security system review to learn more about the easy-to-use, streamlined products and packages the company offers and determine if this is the best home security company for you.
Our Take on Ring
The This Old House Reviews Team rated Ring home security a 9.5 out of 10. It’s a brand name in the home security industry, with smart home integration, no contract requirements, and affordable prices for both packages and products.
Pros & Cons of Ring Home Security
|✔ Low prices||✘ No glass break sensors|
|✔ No contract required||✘ Connectivity issues|
|✔ Wide variety of cameras||✘ Bulky door contact sensors|
|✔ Smart home integration|
|✔ Your choice of DIY or professional installation|
Ring Home Security Packages and Equipment
Ring offers two home security protection packages at varying levels of comprehensiveness: Basic and Plus.
Ring Package Comparison
|Plans||“Ring Protect Basic” Plan||“Ring Protect Plus” Plan|
|Plans||“Ring Protect Basic” Plan||“Ring Protect Plus” Plan|
|Real-time Video with Live View||✔||✔|
|Lifetime Theft Protection||✔||✔|
|Video History for 60 Days||✔||✔|
|Video Saving and Sharing||✔||✔|
|People Only Mode||✔||✔|
|24/7 Professional Monitoring for Ring Alarm||-||✔|
|Extended Warranties for All Devices||-||✔|
|10% Off Select Products at Ring.com||-||✔|
- Alarm Security System: Starter kit for small homes, condos, and apartments up to 1,000 square feet. Comes with a base station, keypad, one contact sensor, one motion detector, and a range extender.
- Flood and Freeze Sensor: Place on the floor or any flat surface under a sink or any other water source to get alerts when water or low temperature are detected.
- Smoke & CO Listener: Sirens will sound and you will get alerts when you place these listeners near your existing smoke detectors and monoxide detectors.
- Panic Button: When the alarm panic button is pressed handheld for three seconds, a siren will sound. With Ring Protect Plus, the 24/7 professional monitoring center will be notified and will dispatch emergency responders.
- Motion Detector: This detector will send you mobile alerts whenever motion is detected inside a room where one is installed.
- Retrofit Alarm Kit: This 5-piece alarm bundle is a wired-to-wireless bridge that connects existing hardwired contact sensors to the Ring Alarm system.
- Video Doorbell: This 2020 release allows customers to customize their motion settings to stay connected to their home and communicate with visitors from anywhere at any time.
- Video Doorbell 3: The next-generation doorbell is upgraded with additional security features, including enhanced Wi-Fi and improved motion detection.
- Video Doorbell 3 Plus: The premium battery-powered doorbell includes features like Pre-Roll technology and an added near motion zone, along with a four-second video preview of each motion event. Recording begins even before you receive an alert.
- Video Doorbell Pro: With 1080p HD video, this video doorbell allows customers to customize privacy zones and audio privacy as well as use Live View to check on their home at any time. It connects to the existing doorbell wiring for constant power.
- Video Doorbell Elite: Professional-grade, flush mount video doorbell offers the same features as the Pro, along with benefits like infrared night vision and ability to capture 160 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically.
- Peephole Cam: This compact bestseller has two-way talk, HD video, and motion-activated notifications. It is compatible with peepholes, ideal for apartments or homeowners who want a sleeker look.
- Indoor Cam: This compact camera has simple plug-in installation and allows customers to check what’s happening at their home at any time. Multipacks can be purchased for convenience.
- Stickup Cam Battery: Wire-free design allows the camera to be put anywhere you need, both inside and outside. The flat surface makes it flexible.
- Stickup Cam Plugin: Nonstop power comes with this indoor/outdoor motion-activated indoor/outdoor camera that can plug into standard power outlets and be installed in minutes.
- Stickup Cam Solar: Flexibility of dual power sources and many different placement options with this motion-activated, versatile camera that you can place almost anywhere.
- Stick Up Cam Elite with PoE Adapter: This camera works indoors and outdoors, and it can be connected to your router with the included PoE adapter, which means no worries about Wi-Fi dead zones or battery charging.
- Floodlight Cam: This hardwired security camera has a siren and ultra-bright LED floodlights.
Ring has some of the lowest prices in DIY home security equipment. You can find a breakdown of the affordable professional monitoring plans and product prices below.
Ring does not require a contract. Customers can pay for plans on either a monthly or yearly basis.
|Plans||Price per Month||Price per Year|
|Plans||Price per Month||Price per Year|
|“Ring Protect Basic” Plan||$3.00||$30.00|
|“Ring Protect Plus” Plan||$10.00||$100.00|
Ring has multiple profiles with the Better Business Bureau, including pages for individual locations and a headquarters page. The headquarters page is accredited by the organization and holds an A+.
As with any company, Ring reviews feature a combination of positive and negative experiences. Here are some BBB reviews to help you get a feel for what to expect if you choose a Ring security system:
“I have purchased the ring doorbell 2, two stickup cams, 4 spotlight cams, and the chime pro. Only one stick up cam gave me an issue and the online chat resolved this. We both patiently went through all the steps necessary and discovered this one device needed replacement. Which the customer representative, Rachel, immediately processed. All my devices work beautifully, and I couldn’t be happier with their customer service. My house is larger, two stories and we’ve always needed two routers. I was able to set up my devices at all necessary outdoor corners with ok to good WiFi connection on all.” - Laurie J. on 05/26/2018
“Devices are unreliable and their service is difficult to reach. I’ve had a few of their devices die, just outside of the one-year warranty. This last one is 4 months past a year, so I’ll just pitch it.” - Sam on 08/25/2020
Ring vs. Competitors
Although we believe Ring is a solid home security provider, it may not be the best choice for you. If you’re interested in alternative options, we recommend getting quotes from ADT, Vivint, and Alder.
For a free quote from ADT, call 855-388-0208 or fill out this form. For a free quote from Vivint, complete this form or call 855-740-4217.To get a free quote from Alder, fill out this form or call 844-431-0264.
Here’s how Ring compares to other top-rated companies:
Ring vs. ADT
ADT has more than 145 years of experience in the industry and is rated the Best Overall home security system by our team. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring, and its mobile app allows you to arm and disarm your system from your smartphone.
Ring vs. Vivint
Vivint easily integrates with third-party smart home devices like Nest thermostat, Philips Hue smart lights, and more. Its feature-rich, customizable system is easy to use, and it is controllable by key fob, voice, and mobile app.
Ring vs. Alder
Alder’s plans typically include mobile app access and 24/7 professional monitoring. Its home security panel is simple and straightforward, and the company offers one of the quickest average response times in the industry—3.4 seconds.
Compare Home Security Companies
Ring earned a 9.5 out of 10 due to its affordability and flexibility. It was one of the first home security companies to sell doorbell cameras and has expanded into a comprehensive company with a 30-second average response time, smart home integration, and no contract requirement.
More Reviews on Home Security Companies
- ADT Home Security Review
- Vivint Home Security Review
- Alder Home Security Review
- SimpliSafe Home Security Review
- Abode Home Security Review
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for home security providers is on a 100-point scale based on 10 factors:
- Number of systems (5)
- Special features (10)
- Installation options (5)
- Connectivity and smart home automation (15)
- Pricing (15)
- Contract period (5)
- Warranty (15)
- Trial period (15)
- Usability (5)
- Trustworthiness (10)
Our team reviewed 32 companies and spent 744 hours researching and testing out products to help us compare home security systems on key factors such as package options, cost, reliability, and ease of use. Read more on our methodology here.
Frequently Asked Questions About Ring
How much is Ring per month?
If you choose the “Ring Protect Basic” plan, it is $3.00 per month or $30 per year. The “Ring Protect Plus” plan is $10.00 per month or $100 per year.
Is Ring as good as ADT?
Ring is a solid choice for a home security system, but ultimately we recommend ADT. The company has nearly 150 years of experience, four packages to choose from, and the largest network of professional monitoring centers.
Does Ring security call the police?
If you have a Ring Alarm and a subscription to professional monitoring, your package includes 24/7 emergency response from the monitoring center. If an event triggers your alarm and it is determined that it is not a false alarm, emergency responders will be dispatched.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.