Whirlpool has been around for more than 100 years and sells appliances like washers, dryers, and refrigerators. When you purchase a Whirlpool appliance in the United States or Canada, you’ll receive a warranty with your system or appliance. Though these warranties vary by product, most Whirlpool warranties cover up to one year of coverage from the date of purchase.
The This Old House Reviews Team has reviewed a variety of home warranty companies, coverage plans, and customer reviews to give you an unbiased review of Whirlpool warranties in comparison to other home warranty providers. Keep reading this review to learn more about a Whirlpool warranty and our recommendations for the best home warranty providers in the industry.
Whirlpool Warranty Plans and Coverage
Most Whirlpool appliances come with one-year warranties that cover the necessary replacement parts and labor to correct breakdowns or failures that result from defective materials or workmanship. Whirlpool also offers extended service plans for your range, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer, and dryer.
Here’s an overview of the Whirlpool warranty plans for washers, dryers, and refrigerators.
- Washers and dryers—With these appliances, customers will receive one year of coverage on all parts, a limited warranty on the lid, top, and gear assembly which extends from the second year through the fifth year, and a limited warranty on the tub from the second year through the tenth year.
- Refrigerators—Customers will receive one year of full coverage on all parts, a full warranty on specific, listed parts of the sealed refrigeration system (such as the compressor and evaporator) which extends from the second year through the fifth year, and a 30-day limited warranty on the water filter starting from the day of purchase.
If you wish to extend the one-year warranty, you can do so with the Whirlpool Service Plan. This coverage lasts for up to five years from the day of purchase and ensures the following:
- No deductible costs on covered repairs
- Service conducted by pre-qualified technicians
- U.S.-based customer service
- Factory-certified parts and technicians
- Similar replacement item when your appliance can’t be repaired
If you have multiple Whirlpool appliances, you can bundle them for a 10% discount on your extended warranty plan. However, neither the one-year warranty nor the extended warranty protect you from breakdowns that occur due to everyday wear and tear.
Whirlpool Warranty Pricing
Pricing for Whirlpool service plans will vary depending on the age of the product. Here are some sample prices we found on the Whirlpool website for a one-year plan on a two- to five-year-old appliance:
- $81 for a clothes dryer
- $82 for a dishwasher
- $83 for a range
- $101 for a refrigerator
- $106 for a clothes washer
Additionally, here are prices for the available extended service plans offered by Whirlpool.
Whirlpool Service Plan Pricing
With a Whirlpool warranty, here are some average repair costs and how much you can expect to save with a one-year service plan:
- $805 to repair a refrigerator compressor, but only $106 with a Whirlpool warranty
- $430 to repair a dryer control assembly, but only $51 with a Whirlpool warranty
- $396 for a range thermostat, but only $56 with a Whirlpool warranty
If you purchase a home warranty for your Whirlpool appliances, you can expect to pay a monthly or yearly premium, as well as a service call fee which covers the cost of labor. The service fee varies from provider to provider, but can range anywhere between $75–$125 per claim.
Whirlpool Warranty Claims Process
Before making a claim, make sure your appliance is covered by Whirlpool. You’ll also need to show proof of purchase to obtain service, so keep that information readily available and be prepared to give the following details:
- Personal information
- Model number and serial number
- Clear, detailed description of the problem
- Proof of purchase, including dealer or retailer name and address
Note: You can’t hire your own technician to complete repair work—all repairs must be done by a Whirlpool-approved service provider.
Whirlpool Warranty Reviews
Whirlpool is accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. As with any warranty provider, there will be a mix of positive and negative reviews. Here’s a sampling of those reviews below:
“I had bought my mother a washing machine, and she is still using it. User-friendly and has an affordable price.” — Michael S. on July 10, 2018
“Getting them to send someone out was like pulling teeth. Finally, they got a company to come out, but it took them [three] times to get the refrigerator to actually work.” — Laura V. on November 17, 2019
If you’re a Whirlpool customer, it makes sense to tack on a manufacturer’s warranty to protect your appliance if something breaks or fails under your coverage term. However, a Whirlpool warranty won’t cover issues that result from normal wear and tear and will expire after a few years.
A home warranty plan, on the other hand, will provide you with more extensive coverage and protect your item if it breaks down due to normal wear and tear. Additionally, a home warranty will protect multiple home systems and appliances under the same plan, instead of covering single items under separate warranties.
The best home warranty providers will offer numerous plan options, as well as add-on coverage for additional items like your pool and spa, septic pump, and well pump. With a home warranty provider, you won’t have to rely on Whirlpool for services and you get the benefit of a larger network of pre-screened technicians.
For homeowners looking for the most comprehensive, valuable plan, we recommend American Home Shield. This company offers three coverage plans that protect a variety of systems and appliances.
Top Home Warranty Companies
We recommend the following providers for full coverage on your home systems and appliances:
Offering some of the best coverage in the nation, American Home Shield has nearly 50 years of experience. Here are just a few reasons why we think this home warranty company is one of the best in the industry:
- Three plan options and add-on coverage for an electronics extended warranty, guest units under 750 square feet, pools and spa, septic pumps, and well pumps
- Roof leak coverage
- Generous coverage caps
- 24/7 customer service with online access and smartphone access
- An efficient claims process, making it easy to request service and speak with a contractor
- 30-day money-back option, just in case you’re unsatisfied with your plan
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.