USAA was founded close to 100 years ago with the goal of helping current or former military members and their family. One way USAA helps military members and their family members is by providing renters insurance with personal property and liability coverage for as low as $10 per month.
Keep reading our USAA renters insurance review and determine if it’s the best renters insurance company for you and your family.
Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of a USAA renters insurance policy below.
How Much Does USAA Cost?
The cost of USAA renters insurance can be as low as $10 per month. The This Old House Reviews Team requested a quote to verify that price using information for a three-bedroom apartment in Raleigh, North Carolina:
Your USAA renters insurance deductible will be $250, $500, $1,000, or $2,500.
To get your own quote, you’ll have to determine if you’re eligible by answering questions regarding your military history or your family member’s history. Once you’re eligible for coverage, you can create an account and input the following information to receive a quote:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Security features
Cost of USAA Renters Insurance
USAA Renters Insurance Coverage
USAA covers the following events:
- Fire and lightning
- Flood and water
- Windstorm or hail
- Collapse of building
- Volcanic eruption
- Falling objects
- Vandalism and malicious mischief
- Riot and civil commotion
- Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging
- Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current
USAA renters insurance includes three main coverage areas:
1. Personal Property Coverage
This part of the policy protects the belongings you own in the apartment or home you rent. USAA offers replacement cost coverage, which means that if one of the covered events damages your items, they will cover replacement costs as if the items were new.
The quote we received from USAA included $30,000 for personal property coverage.
2. Liability Coverage
If you’re responsible for damaging your neighbor’s property or injuring them, your policy will cover the cost to repair or replace their items or pay their medical bills.
Our USAA quote included $100,000 for liability coverage.
3. Coverage for Medical Payments to Others
If a guest is injured in your home, your policy may cover the medical bills if they see a doctor.
The USAA quote we received included $5,000 per person for medical payments to others.
Here are the available coverage amounts according to North Carolina information:
USAA Range of Coverage
|Type of Coverage||Range of Coverage|
|Medical Payments to Others||$5,000|
USAA Additional Coverage
USAA allows you to buy extra personal property coverage for more expensive items with valuable personal property and computer and tablet add-on options.
USAA Renters insurance is available in all 50 states, so no matter where you currently live or decide to move you will be able to use USAA. To see a complete list of the top providers in your area, click on your state in the list below:
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
Customer Service and Claims Support
USAA has a customer portal and mobile app so that you can review your policy and file a claim at any time. To talk to a customer service representative, call 210-531-8722 or 800-531-8722, and you’ll be forwarded to the correct department. The claims center is open 24 hours a day, but the rest of the departments have limited hours.
If you’re a current military member, veteran, pre-commissioned officer, or the spouse or child of someone in the military, we recommend getting a quote for USAA renters insurance. The insurance policy offers standard personal property and liability coverage with unique coverage for floods and earthquakes. You also get to enjoy certain USAA membership perks for free, like car buying discounts and travel deals.
Along with your quote from USAA, we recommend requesting renters insurance quotes from at least two other insurance carriers so that you can find the policy with the type of coverage you want at the price you can afford.
USAA Renters Insurance vs. The Competition
If you’re not sure whether USAA is right for you, compare it to other top-rated renters insurance companies below.
Compare Renters Insurance Companies
|Known for||Flood and earthquake coverage||Credit card coverage in the basic policy||Multiple discounts|
|Monthly price||As low as $10||About $20||About $16|
|Customer service||24/7 for claims; limited for sales and service||24/7 for claims; limited for sales and service||24/7|
- Company Name: The United Services Automobile Association
- CEO: Wayne Peacock
- Years in Business: 98
- State Availability: 50
- Address: 9800 Fredericksburg Road
- City/State: San Antonio, TX
- Zip Code: 78288
- A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating: A++
Frequently Asked Questions About USAA
The This Old HouseReviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each renters insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each renters insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of renters protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
Our Reviews team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.