In this Review: Our Take | Pros & Cons | Cost & Discounts | Coverage | State Availability | Customer Reviews | Our Conclusion | UPC vs. the Competition | Company Information | FAQs | Methodology
No one wants to be caught unprepared after their home is burglarized or damaged due to an event like a fire or hail storm. Without a home insurance policy, homeowners are on the hook for costly repairs and replacing their personal property. With home insurance, they can rest easy at night.
Unfortunately, selecting the best home insurance company for you can be challenging. Companies can differ in coverage, including endorsements, service areas, quality of customer service, and more. The This Old House Reviews Team has created this in-depth United Property & Casualty Insurance review to help you determine if the company is the best fit for your needs.
United Property & Casualty Insurance, now known as UPC, offers solid homeowners insurance at very affordable rates. It provides some of the lowest premiums of the companies we have reviewed. However, the company offers few discounts and endorsements, and it is only available in 12 states. Overall, we give UPC home insurance a score of 74.25 out of 100.
Pros and Cons of UPC Home Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of UPC home insurance.
|Very affordable rates||Only available in 12 states|
|BBB accreditation and A+ rating||Few discounts|
|Only 21 years in business|
How Much Does UPC Home Insurance Cost?
We received an estimate for a single-family, roughly 2,200-square-foot-home in North Carolina. The quoted monthly premium was $98.58, which was among the lowest rates offered by companies we’ve reviewed.
The exact cost of UPC homeowners insurance depends on many factors, including your property value and size, the materials it was constructed with, where you live, the coverage limits you select, the insurance deductible you choose, and more.
United Property & Casualty Insurance Cost
|Type of Coverage||Amount of Coverage|
|Loss of use/Additional living expenses||$78,000|
|Medical payments to others||$1,000|
UPC offers only a few discounts that allow you to lower the amount you pay for homeowners insurance:
- Protective devices
- Age of home
- Age & marital status
What Does UPC Cover?
UPC offers all industry-standard protections in its basic coverage. These include dwelling and other structure coverage, personal property coverage, loss of use and additional living expenses coverage, personal liability, and medical payments to others.
United Property & Casualty Insurance Coverage
|Dwelling + other structures||Covers the home’s interior and exterior structure, as well as detached structures like sheds and garages|
|Personal property||Covers your personal property in case of a covered loss, including furniture, clothing, appliances, and electronics|
|Loss of use/Additional living expenses||Covers the cost of having to live outside of your home temporarily due to covered damage or destruction|
|Personal liability||Covers your legal fees in the event you are sued for injury or personal property damage to a guest|
|Medical payments to others||Covers medical expenses of a guest who gets injured at your home|
UPC offers a variety of optional add-on endorsements to help you customize your coverage:
- Identity theft coverage
- Personal injury
- Limited water backup and sump pump failure
UPC homeowners insurance is only available in 12 states:
Connecticut | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Louisiana | Massachusetts | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Texas
Reviews of UPC Insurance
UPC is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and holds an A+ rating from the organization. See what some customers shared on the BBB about their experience with UPC.
Carla S. said:
“I had wind and water damage after Hurricane Irma. I put in a claim and received a response within 2 weeks. I got 3 est to replace my roof. I was afraid that since my roof was an original roof over 20 yrs old I would have problems. They sent out an adjuster and I received a call back within 1 week and was told I was approved for a full roof replacement. Choice which roofer and let them know. My pay out was for the total damage less my hurricane deductible. I could not be happier!!”
Edgardo V. said:
“First time filed a claim because things happen and you don’t have control of that, I can tell you my experience with this insurance company it’s been very satisfied Melany very professional quick response and honest person. Thank you”
Overall, we give UPC a score of 74.25 out of 100. UPC offers solid homeowners insurance coverage at very affordable rates. Unfortunately, its policies are only available in 12 states. The company offers few discounts, and there are concerns about customer service if you want a quote. You need to reach out to independent insurance agents for help.
To find the best provider for your needs, we always recommend getting quotes from multiple home insurance companies that serve your area:
UPC vs. the Competition
See how UPC Insurance stacks up against some of its top competitors on key metrics.
|State Availability||$12||27*||48 (not available in AK and HI)|
|Years in Business||$21||5||113|
|24/7 Claims Service by Phone||X||✓||✓|
|Protective Devices/Safety Features Discount||✓||✓||✓|
*Lemonade home insurance is available in AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MO, NV, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI
- Company name: UPC Insurance Company
- Company type: Public
- CEO: R. Daniel Peed
- Year founded: 1999
- Headquarters: 800 2nd Ave S. St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- State availability: 12
- BBB rating: A+
Frequently Asked Questions about UPC
The This Old HouseReviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
Our Reviews team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.