In This Review: Our Take | Pros and Cons | Cost | Plans & Coverage | State Availability | Customer Reviews | Conclusion | Comparison | Company Information | FAQs | Methodology
Choosing the best home insurance company can be tricky, as you’ll need to evaluate coverage, costs, customer service, and more to find your best fit.
The This Old House Reviews Team has created an in-depth Travelers home insurance review to help you discover if it’s the best company for your needs.
Our Take on Travelers Homeowners Insurance
Overall, we rate Travelers home insurance a 93.60 out of 100 on metrics like coverage, availability, customer service, and more.
Travelers has been in the insurance business for over 160 years, with a proven track record for customization and reliability. The company offers all industry-standard coverage nationwide, in addition to a variety of endorsements, including an option that helps you rebuild your home with green materials in the event of a covered disaster to make it more environmentally-friendly.
There aren’t too many drawbacks to Travelers home insurance, but both Android and Apple users have lodged negative reviews about its mobile app. The company also offers fewer discounts than many of its competitors.
On Traveler’s Better Business Bureau profile, common complaints cite issues with cancelling policies and receiving reimbursements, while positive reviews note great prices and great coverage.
Pros and Cons
Compare advantages and disadvantages of Travelers homeowners insurance:
How Much Does Travelers Insurance Cost?
The exact cost you’ll pay for Travelers home insurance depends on a variety of factors, including your property value, where you live, the size of your home, the materials it was built with, the coverage limits you select, the insurance deductible you choose, and more.
We requested a quote for a single-family, roughly 2,200-square-foot home in Eureka, California.
Travelers offers a variety of homeowners insurance discounts that can lower the overall amount you pay.
Plans & Coverage
Travelers offers all of the standard home insurance coverage, along with a variety of endorsements.
Travelers Home Insurance Extra Coverage
Travelers offers a variety of extra coverage, or endorsements.
Travelers homeowners insurance is available in 48 states, including all but Florida and California. Click on your state below to learn about the top rated providers in your area and compare them against Travelers:
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
Travelers Home Insurance Reviews
Travelers Insurance is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and holds an A+ rating from the organization. However, customers give Travelers just over 1 out of 5 stars. Here’s what some real customers had to say about their experience with Travelers insurance.
“Very satisfied. My agent, Scott, was great to work with. He got me a new roof for my house that was damaged from a hailstorm a few years back. Even got me new gutters and window screens, which I didn’t even ask for. And it was all completely covered. He was thorough in his inspection, and laid everything out in a way that was easy to understand. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for new insurance.”
Derek W. said:
“I wouldn’t recommend Travelers Insurance to anyone. Recently had hail damage to my house and filed a claim. They won’t approve anything to bring the roof back to existing condition. Been going back and forth with them for two months with this claim. This is exhausting and ridiculous. I won’t ever be going back with Travelers again.”
Accurate as of August 2022
Travelers has extensive experience, with over 160 years in the insurance business. The insurance provider offers a wide range of homeowners insurance, including a variety of endorsements like Green home that you don’t see everywhere. Policies are available nationwide, and many discounts are offered. We found few downsides to Travelers, which mostly consisted of negative reviews of its app, customer concerns about claims, and the comparatively few number of discounts. We gave Travelers an overall score of 93.60 to Travelers.
Travelers Home Insurance vs. The Competition
See how Travelers stacks up against some of its top competitors on key metrics.
Frequently Asked Questions about Travelers Insurance
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
The This Old House Reviews Team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.