Across Nebraska, pet parents are searching for the best pet insurance plan to help them avoid unexpected expenses and provide their pet the high-quality treatment they deserve. Pet insurance can provide protection if your pet becomes sick or injured, allowing owners to focus on their pet’s health journey rather than worrying over high vet bills.
In our search for the best providers for Nebraskan pets, the This Old House Reviews Team examined top insurers’ costs, drawbacks, plan options, customer service, and other key metrics to create a guide to the top pet insurance companies in Nebraska. We’ve also included quotes we received in secret shopping these providers to give an idea of pricing. Compare and contrast our top picks here to see what’s right for your pet.
Compare Other Pet Companies
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Nebraska?
In secret shopping top provider quotes for pet insurance for dogs and pet insurance for cats in Nebraska, we found that quotes for dogs ranged between $18 and $82 per month, while quotes for cats ranged between $11 and $33 per month.
A dog or cat’s price is affected by a number of factors involved, including:
- Species: As reflected in the quotes we received from each provider, pet insurance for dogs can be much more expensive than pet insurance for cats. Dogs are more likely to develop expensive conditions such as cancer than cats and other chronic conditions that can incur high vet bills over time.
- Breed: An animal’s breed can inform the cost of insurance. Dogs like German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, and Boxers are more likely to develop certain types of cancer than other breeds as they grow older. Larger dogs also have a higher likelihood to develop expensive-to-treat hip dysplasia, such as Saint Bernards and Golden Retrievers. Due to these factors, smaller or mixed breeds can be quoted more affordable prices for pet insurance.
- Customization: How a policy is customized will affect pet insurance pricing. Choosing a lower deductible, higher reimbursement rate, or higher coverage cap can all raise premiums. For example, when insuring a 4-year-old domestic medium hair through Lemonade, choosing a 90% reimbursement rate, $20,000 coverage cap, and $100 deductible will result in a quote for $17.08 per month. On the other hand, raising the deductible to $250 while lowering the reimbursement rate to 80% and the coverage cap to $5,000 will reduce the monthly price to just $11.
- Age: Much like their human companions, pets tend to run into more frequent health issues as they age, which can result in raised premiums each year. This factor can make cats and dogs over six years old even more expensive to insure, though purchasing pet insurance earlier in their lives can help to prevent severe spikes in premium costs.
- Location: It’s no secret that the cost of living, including veterinary care, is typically more expensive in urban areas than in suburban and rural locations. This means that pet parents living in larger cities may also pay more expensive pet insurance premiums. For example, residents in Los Angeles, California, will likely pay more than pet parents living in Valentine, Nebraska.
- Discounts: One way to lower your monthly cost for pet insurance is to find discounts that apply to your situation, such as a multi-pet discount through Lemonade, Prudent Pet, or Embrace, or 10% off for adopting a pet in need from Fetch.
Our top overall choice for pet insurance in Nebraska is Lemonade. We also rated Spot highly for its flexible coverage you can tailor to your needs and Embrace for its deductible options. To choose the right provider, take a few moments to compare quotes from multiple pet insurance companies.
Comparing the Top Providers of Pet Insurance in Nebraska
To find your ideal provider, we always recommend getting three quotes for an accurate comparison between pet insurance companies and clear insight into your personalized pricing.
*Sample quotes for a mixed 4-year-old dog in Lincoln, NE with a 68508 zip code based on a $250 deductible, $5,000 coverage cap, and 80% reimbursement level when those options were available
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.