When your pup swallows a toy or your elderly cat breaks a bone, pet insurance can be a lifesaver, offsetting vet expenses and ensuring your beloved pet gets the care it deserves. Whether you live in a bustling city like Boise or a small town like Bonners Ferry, pet parents in the Gem State have access to a range of pet insurance companies.
To help you choose from one of the best pet insurance providers in the state, the This Old House Reviews Team compiled a list of the top pet insurance companies in Idaho based on customer satisfaction, reputation, plan details, and local plan prices.
Top 7 Pet Insurance Providers in Idaho
- Spot: Most Customizable Plans
- Embrace: Best Deductibles
- Fetch by The Dodo:Best Holistic Coverage
- ASPCA: Best for New Pet Owners
- Healthy Paws: Best Coverage Limit
- Prudent Pet: Most Comprehensive Plan
- Figo:Best Extra Coverage Add-On
The guide below features sample monthly pet insurance rates for 4-year-old dogs and cats in Boise with varying deductibles, annual limits, and reimbursements. Read on to learn what rates and coverage you can expect.
Spot is an excellent choice for pet parents who want flexible premiums and coverage options, with six annual limits, three reimbursement levels, and four deductibles.
- Our score: 91
- Offers two levels of wellness coverage for increased routine care benefits
- Provides up to a 20% discount to employees who enroll through their workplace benefits program
- Has some of the industry’s lowest premiums when you opt for low coverage limits and higher deductibles
Spot Pros and Cons
✔ Covers microchip implantation, which is excluded by many pet insurance companies
✔ Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Rewards new customers in most states with a $25 Amazon gift card
✘ Does not feature a live online chat tool or any customer service on weekends
✘ Enforces a 14-day waiting period for accidents, while some companies activate accident coverage after two days
Spot Plans and Coverage
Spot offers two coverage plans and two preventive care add-ons designed to meet a variety of pet insurance needs:
- Accident-Only Plan: This plan covers treatments, procedures, hospitalizations, prescriptions, testing, and veterinary care related to accidental injuries.
- Accident and Illness Plan: The accident and illness plan reimburses pet owners for everything covered by the Accident-Only Plan in addition to care related to dental disease, behavioral issues, hereditary conditions, general sickness, and other illnesses.
- Gold Preventative Care Plan: The first of Spot’s wellness add-ons covers up to $250 per year of routine care expenses for items such as wellness exams and dental cleanings.
- Platinum Preventative Care Plan: The Platinum plan increases the Gold plan’s coverage to $450 of annual benefits and includes additional services such as blood tests.
Spot Pet Insurance Cost
Based on sample quotes in Idaho, Spot’s accident and illness coverage costs around $14–$115 per month for dogs and $8–$70 per month for cats, depending on what coverage limit, deductible, and reimbursement level you select.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Spot
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace’s flexible range of pet insurance deductibles and its Healthy Pet Deductible benefit make it one of the best pet health insurance companies in Idaho. With this complementary policy feature, your deductible decreases by $50 each year you don’t file a claim.
- Our score: 93.5
- Allows policyholders to customize monthly premiums with several levels of deductibles
- Covers your pet’s curable preexisting conditions after one year without symptoms
- Features a diminishing deductible, which could leave you with a $0 deductible
Embrace Pros and Cons
✔ Has a user-friendly app with downloadable plan documents and a 24/7 helpline
✔ Allows you to reduce the plan’s six-month orthopedic waiting period with a vet exam
✔ Covers alternative treatments, including acupuncture, that are often excluded from pet insurance
✘ Has higher rates for routine care plans than competitors in this review
✘ Limits annual coverage to $30,000, while some carriers offer higher caps or unlimited plans
Embrace Plans and Coverage
Embrace’s singular accident and illness plan covers a variety of conditions, including:
- Dental illness
- Breed-specific, congenital, and genetic conditions
- Arthritis and other chronic illnesses
- Preventable conditions, such as parasites
Embrace offers reimbursements for emergency care, prescriptions, operations, treatments, diagnostics, and hospitalization. The company also reimburses veterinary costs, physical therapy, and alternative treatments such as acupuncture or laser therapy when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
Additionally, Embrace has an optional Wellness Rewards for Routine Care package, which provides 100% reimbursement for routine care costs, up to an annual maximum of $250–$650.
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our compilation of pet insurance quotes in Idaho, the average pet insurance plan from Embrace is $15–$59 per month for dogs and $9–$35 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Embrace
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo
Fetch by The Dodo has some of the best holistic coverage options on our list of top pet insurance companies. In addition to chiropractic care, Fetch covers treatments like stem cell therapy, homeopathy, acupuncture and hydrotherapy that are typically only offered in add-on preventive care plans.
- Our score: 91.5
- Offers $1,000 of annual benefits for behavioral therapy and telehealth treatments
- Covers lost-pet replacement, vacation cancellation fees, and missing pet advertisement fees
- Does not deny coverage to older pets, while most providers have breed-specific or universal cut-offs
Fetch by The Dodo Pros and Cons
✔ Features a live customer chat tool on its website
✔ Has an unlimited coverage option, which many providers lack
✔ Offers flexible deductibles, reimbursement rates, and annual limits so you can tailor premiums and coverage to your needs
✘ Lacks a wellness care add-on, leaving you on the hook for routine vet costs
✘ Has a 15-day waiting period for accidents, while some competitors have only a two-day period
Fetch by The Dodo Plans and Coverage
With Fetch, pet owners have access to one accident and illness plan, with no preventive care add-ons or wellness options. The plan reimburses pet parents for emergency care, consultations, operations, hospitalizations, diagnostic tests, and medication, along with the following holistic treatments:
- Behavioral treatment
- Chiropractic treatment
- Comprehensive dental care
- Stem cell therapy
Coverage also extends to vacation cancellation costs if your pet is injured or ill, boarding kennel fees if you are hospitalized for four days or longer and can’t take care of your pet, and missing pet advertisement and reward money.
Fetch policies exclude elective and cosmetic procedures, routine care, and incurable preexisting conditions.
Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our research, the average Fetch policy in Idaho ranges from $39–$144 per month for dogs and $20–$55 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Fetch
Learn More: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Review
If you have a brand new furry family member, ASPCA may be a good fit for your pet insurance needs. The company caters many of its services to first-time pet owners, including a vet finder tool, coverage of microchipping, and online resources that cover breed-specific issues, eco-friendly pet products, pet naming advice, quizzes, and fun facts about dogs and cats.
- Our score: 89
- Three choices for deductible amounts
- User-friendly mobile app for processing and tracking claims
- Veterinary exams included in standard plans
ASPCA Pros and Cons
✔ Covers curable preexisting conditions after 180 days if your pet is symptom-free during that time period
✔ Provides coverage without reviewing veterinary medical records
✔ Has two tiers for optional preventive coverage
✘ Does not provide any online customer service options
✘ Charges a $2 fee if you pay premiums monthly rather than in one annual payment
ASPCA Plans and Coverage
ASPCA offers two pet insurance plans and two add-on packages:
- Accident-Only Plan: The Accident-Only Plan is ASPCA’s most basic and affordable form of coverage. This plan includes exams, treatment, and after-care for a variety of injuries, including bites, sprains, and broken bones. Acupuncture is also covered under the Accident-Only Plan if prescribed as a treatment by your veterinarian.
- Complete Coverage Plan: This plan covers everything in the Accident-Only Plan, along with coverage of illnesses and chronic conditions such as allergies, cancer, heart disease, and hyperthyroidism.
- Preventive plans: ASPCA’s basic add-on coverage comes with a $250 annual reimbursement limit for routine and wellness-related care like teeth cleaning, deworming, and annual vet exams. The basic plan is an additional $9.95 per month. For $24.95 per month, customers can select the Prime Plan, which includes everything covered in the basic preventive package, but with a higher annual cap ($450).
Using ASPCA’s online instant quote tool, we found that a pet insurance policy for dogs in Idaho would range from approximately $24 to $84 per month. A pet insurance policy for cats would be between $13 and $51.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with ASPCA
Learn More: ASPCA Pet Insurance Review
Healthy Paws offer unlimited protection through its basic accident and illness plan, with no per-incident, annual, or lifetime caps on coverage.
- Our score: 93.5
- Doesn’t have coverage limits, so you never max out your plan’s benefits
- Provides competitive rates for unlimited accident and illness coverage
- The Healthy Paws Foundation has donated over $1.6 million to homeless pets
Healthy Paws Pros and Cons
✔ Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Has one pet insurance plan with unlimited coverage
✔ Allows you to compare quotes and coverage between Healthy Paws and other providers online
✘ Has fewer deductible and reimbursement options than other providers in this review
✘ Does not offer wellness coverage, while some of its competitors do
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
The Healthy Paws accident and illness plan covers conditions such as broken bones, general sickness, cancer, chronic illness, and hereditary and congenital conditions.
Covered expenses include:
- Emergency care
- Diagnostic testing
Healthy Paws does not cover routine care, general vet visit fees, or cosmetic procedures. There is also a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia, while some companies in this review enforce only a six-month waiting period.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
Our research indicates that a Healthy Paws accident and illness plan in Idaho costs an average of $36–$49 per month for dogs and $14–$20 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Healthy Paws
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Prudent Pet stands out for its comprehensive coverage, providing an accident-only plan, accident and illness coverage, and an Ultimate Plan that offers unlimited annual coverage and reimburses pet owners for vacation cancellation costs, lost-pet replacement expenses, and boarding fees.
- Our score: 95
- Features 24/7 live online chat support
- Offers add-ons for preventive care and veterinary exam fees
- Has accident-only and comprehensive plans, providing a wide range of coverage options
Prudent Pet Pros and Cons
✔ Offers a 10% discount when you enroll more than one pet in coverage
✔ Has multiple deductibles and reimbursement levels, letting you tweak coverage to fit your budget
✔ Reimburses customers for vacation cancellation fees due to a sick or injured pet, lost-pet replacement fees, and kennel fees
✘ Offers less competitive accident and illness rates than other companies in this review
✘ Does not allow you to adjust coverage caps, limiting flexibility
Prudent Pet Plans and Coverage
Prudent Pet has three pet insurance plans and some optional add-ons:
- Accident-Only Plan: Prudent Pet’s most affordable pet insurance plan has a $10,000 annual coverage limit and protects your pet if it is accidentally injured. Coverage applies to hospitalizations, prescription medications, operations, emergency vet visits, diagnostics, and prescribed alternative treatments.
- Essential Plan: The Essential Plan provides accident and illness coverage with a $10,000 annual cap. It extends the coverage provided by the Accident-Only Plan to include treatment for congenital and hereditary conditions, general sickness, cancer, hip dysplasia, behavioral issues, and ear, eye, and skin conditions.
- Ultimate Plan: The Ultimate Plan offers the same coverage as the Essential Plan, but it removes the annual coverage cap. It also reimburses costs such as kennel and boarding fees and pet final expenses such as cremation and burial.
Prudent Pet also has add-ons, also known as riders, for routine care and vet exams. Routine care add-ons cost $11.95–$29.95 per month, and the veterinary exam rider can be tacked onto your plan for a few extra dollars per month.
Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Cost
Based on our research, accident and illness coverage from Prudent Pet in Idaho falls between $22 and $118 per month for dogs and between $13 and $64 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Prudent Pet
Learn More: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Review
Figo may be a good fit for pet owners interested in securing add-on coverage and extra perks with their pet insurance. The company provides third-party liability insurance of up to $10,000. The liability coverage protects you if your pet causes damage outside of your property. Additionally, Figo has optional coverage that includes reimbursements if you lose your pet and advertise a reward for its safe return. If your pet passes away, Figo can help pay for cremation costs.
- Our score: 93
- 100% reimbursement rate option
- Choice of no cap on annual payouts
- One-day waiting period for injuries
Figo Pros and Cons
✔ Has a user-friendly app for making payments and managing claims
✔ Provides a 30-day money back guarantee if you decide to cancel your policy
✔ Offers virtual vet appointments
✘ Has a six-month waiting period for knee-related injuries
✘ Increases premiums steeply for older pets
Figo Plans and Coverage
Figo offers one accident and illness plan with three reimbursement limits: $5,000, $10,000, and Unlimited. The company also has four deductibles to choose from, ranging from 70% to 100%. Regardless of the annual limit and deductible you select, your standard plan with Figo will cover the following expenses:
- Lab tests
- Ongoing treatment
- Some behavioral issues
- Holistic care
Items like vet exam fees, spaying and neutering, vaccinations, and dental care are available as optional add-on services. Figo also offers the Extra Care Pack, which helps pay for cremation costs, lost pet advertising, fees for canceling a vacation due to your pet’s illness or injury, and boarding if you must be in the hospital longer than four days.
Monthly premiums for a dog in Idaho range from $30 to $42, according to our research. A Figo policy for a cat in Idaho ranges from approximately $12 to $17.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Figo
Learn More: Figo Pet Insurance Review
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Idaho?
Based on our research, pet insurance in Idaho typically costs around $15–$144 per month for dogs and $9–$55 per month for cats. Pet insurance rates are calculated using the factors below:
- Age: Pets are more susceptible to injuries and illnesses as they age. To account for this risk, providers charge higher premiums for older pets. To secure the best pet insurance rates and ensure your cat or dog gets the protection it needs, enroll your pet in a plan as early as possible.
- Species: Dogs face a higher risk of suffering from genetic conditions like arthritis and some cancers, meaning pet insurance for dogs is usually pricier than pet insurance for cats.
- Breed: Your pet’s breed plays a role in determining your premiums, with some breeds seeing an increased risk of developing costly medical conditions. For example, Siberian Huskies face a higher risk of hip dysplasia than some smaller breeds.
- Location: The cost of veterinary care is higher in some areas of the country than others, and large cities tend to experience higher pet insurance premiums than rural areas. Pet insurance companies use your ZIP code to establish the cost of coverage.
- Customization: Your coverage limit, deductible, and reimbursement rate largely determine what you pay for pet insurance. For reference, our Prudent Pet quote for a medium mixed-breed 4-year-old dog in Boise, Idaho, with a $10,000 annual cap, 70% reimbursement rate, and $1,000 deductible is $22.90 per month. With no coverage cap, a 90% reimbursement rate, and a $100 annual deductible, the same dog would cost $120.29 per month to insure.
- Discounts: You should take advantage of discounts offered by pet insurance providers to lower your rates. Discounts vary from provider to provider, with many offering a multi-pet discount when you enroll more than one pet in a plan. Fetch, for instance, offers discounts to shelter and rescue adopters, service animal owners, military members and veterans, and AARP members.
FAQs About Pet Insurance in ID
Spot is our top recommendation for pet insurance in Idaho due to the company’s flexible premium, deductible, and coverage options. If deductible payments are important to your pet insurance plan selection, Embrace may be worth considering, since, like Spot, the company offers multiple options.
However, Embrace also provides a vanishing deductible each year you don’t file a claim. To choose the right pet insurance company for your furry friend’s needs, take time to review the plans and benefits offered by at least three providers and consider which one is the best fit.
Comparing the Top Pet Insurance Providers in Idaho
Start by comparing quotes from the pet insurance companies below to see what rates your pet is eligible for.
|Provider||Our Rating||Sample Pricing*||Wellness Add-On|
|Fetch by The Dodo||91.5||$39.21||✘|
*Based on sample quotes for a mixed 4-year-old dog in Boise, Idaho.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.