Best Homeowners Insurance in New Jersey (2023)
With a New Jersey home insurance policy, you can protect your home with all types of standard coverage for about $99 per month.
While home insurance may cost more than other types of insurance policies, you’ll get peace of mind that you won’t have to pay for expensive repairs or replacements out of pocket should disaster strike.
Keep reading to learn which companies offer the best homeowners insurance in New Jersey.
To learn how to find the best homeowners insurance in the Garden State, read our review below. For a free quote, call 855-948-5219 or enter your zip code in the tool below:
3 Best Homeowners Insurance Providers in New Jersey
The highest-rated home insurance companies in New Jersey are:
Lemonade: Easiest Sign-Up
- J.D. Power Rating: N/A
- A.M. Best Rating: N/A
Lemonade is new to the insurance industry but has created a unique home insurance experience with customizable valuable item coverage and a Giveback program that donates unused policy money to the charity of your choice.
With a Lemonade policy, you get the same areas of coverage as Travelers and Farmers, minus the other structures protection.
Benefits of Lemonade Home Insurance
- Quick and easy sign-up process
- More affordable than other providers listed in this review
- Fast claims process where most claims are approved and paid for instantly
Get Quote: Lemonade Home Insurance Quote.
Learn More: Lemonade Home Insurance Review
*A.M. Best ratings accurate as of April 2023
Travelers: Most Experience
Travelers has the most experience in the home insurance industry compared to the providers in this review. While Farmers has 92 years of experience and Lemonade has four, Travelers has over 160 years of industry experience.
With a Travelers home insurance policy, you get dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, personal liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
Benefits of Travelers Home Insurance
- Discounts for being claim-free or being a new homebuyer
- Claims center that’s open 24/7
- Up to $10,000 per person for medical payments coverage
Get Quote: Travelers Home Insurance Quote
Learn More: Travelers Home Insurance Review
Farmers: Most Customizable Coverage
Farmers allows customers to completely customize their home insurance policy. While most companies decide dwelling, other structures, personal property, and loss of use coverage based on your home rebuilding cost,
Farmers allows you to determine those amounts yourself. You can also select liability and medical payments to others coverage amounts.
Benefits of Farmers Home Insurance
- Deductibles split up by peril
- Up to $2 million worth of personal liability coverage
- Mobile app and customer portal to handle policy and claims questions yourself
Get Quote: Farmers Home Insurance Quote
Learn More: Farmers Home Insurance Review
New Jersey Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Most New Jersey home insurance policies include the six areas of coverage:
- Personal liability—This part of a policy pays for medical bills and repair or replacement costs if you’re responsible for causing bodily injury to someone or damage their personal belongings. It also covers legal fees if you’re sued. We recommend purchasing at least $300,000 worth of this protection.
- Medical payments to others—If someone is injured in your home or on your property, your home insurance policy will pay up to a certain amount of their medical bills. A typical amount to purchase is $1,000 per person.
- Dwelling—This type of coverage covers the cost to rebuild your home. This includes everything built into the home, like cabinetry, flooring, exterior walls, and interior walls. To determine how much of this coverage to purchase, use the estimate the insurance company gives you, talk to a local real estate appraiser, or purchase $100–$155 of protection per square foot.
- Other structures—This will cover structures on your property not attached to the home, like fences and garages. It usually comprises 10% of dwelling coverage. Travelers and Farmers allow you to customize this amount, but Lemonade doesn’t offer this coverage at all.
- Personal property—This covers the cost to replace your items if they’re damaged by a covered peril, like fire or theft. Most policies are actual cash value, which means your items will be replaced based on their depreciated value. However, you can usually buy an endorsement to turn the policy into a replacement cash value policy that replaces the items with new ones. This coverage usually makes up 50% of dwelling coverage.
- Loss of use—If your home receives damage, forcing you to live elsewhere during repairs, you can be reimbursed for living expenses during that time. You will usually get 20% of dwelling for this type of coverage.
Insurance companies usually offer endorsements that you can tack onto your policy for an additional cost each month. Common endorsements include discounts for water backup, jewelry, personal property replacement cost, and identity fraud expense.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Homeowners Insurance in New Jersey
Consider these factors and how they will affect your home insurance rates as you begin searching for a policy:
- Level of crime in your area—When you input your address for a quote, the insurance company will look at the crime rates in your neighborhood. If your home is in an area with a high level of crime, it may be considered riskier to insure, which could lead to a higher premium.
- Valuable items—Most home insurance policies won’t cover valuable belongings, like jewelry, artwork, and collectibles, because their value exceeds the personal property coverage cap. If you have a lot of valuable items, look into jewelry, scheduled personal property, or valuable personal property endorsements.
- Claims history of home—Insurance companies look at the claims history of the home as a whole, which includes claims made by past owners. If they see your home has had a lot of claims in the past, you may have to pay more for coverage.
- Independent insurance agencies—If you’re struggling to find an insurance provider, look into an independent insurance agency. These agencies typically sell a variety of insurance products and services from several insurance companies. Because of their intimate knowledge of the insurance industry, they will be able to find a provider that fits your coverage and budget needs.
Comparing the Top Providers of Homeowners Insurance in NJ
|Link||Best For||Star Rating|
|Lemonade||Get Quote||Easiest Sign-Up|
|State Farm||Get Quote||Best Endorsements|
|Allstate||Get Quote||Best Coverage Options|
|Travelers||Get Quote||Most Experience|
|American Family||Get Quote||Most Comprehensive Coverage|
|Liberty Mutual||Get Quote||Best Discounts|
Frequently Asked Questions About Homeowners Insurance in New Jersey
How does my local fire department affect my homeowners insurance policy?
The proximity of your home to a fire station will affect your insurance premiums. If your home is farther than five miles from a station, it will take longer for firefighters to get there to put out a fire, which increases the amount of damage that will be done and how much your insurance company will have to pay.
What are the different types of deductibles?
There are three types of deductibles: flat, percent, and split.
- Flat—This type of deductible is a set number that you pay for every type of peril. An example of this would be a Lemonade policy where you select $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500, or $5,000 each time you file a claim.
- Percent—With this deductible, you pay a set percentage of dwelling coverage every time you file a claim. For example, you can decide between $1,500, $2,500, 1% of dwelling, 2% of dwelling, 3% of dwelling, or 5% of dwelling when you want to make wind and hail claims.
- Split—This deductible is split up by peril. Farmers home insurance has deductibles for wind and hail, hurricanes, and all other types of perils.
Does personal property coverage only protect belongings in my home?
Personal property coverage protects your belongings inside and outside of your home. For example, if someone breaks into your car and steals your items, you would file a claim with your home insurance company to have those items replaced.
Which is the Best Home Insurance in New Jersey for You?
For customizable homeowners insurance policies in New Jersey, look into Lemonade, Travelers, and Farmers. Call 855-948-5219; or use our tool below to get quotes from all three providers and compare policy costs from each company:
Useful Resources for Residents in New Jersey
- Best Home Warranties in New Jersey
- Best Moving Companies in New Jersey
- Best Solar Companies in New Jersey
The This Old House Reviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
Our Reviews team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.