Unexpected events, like fire or theft, can occur at any time and leave you footing the bill for damage to your home. In this guide on homeowners insurance in Michigan, we examine the top providers in the state so you can find the best home insurance company for you.
To get home insurance quotes in your area, call 855-948-5219 or enter your zip code in our free quote tool:
5 Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Michigan
Here are the top five providers of homeowners insurance in Michigan:
- Lemonade: Easiest Sign-up
- State Farm: Best Endorsements
- Allstate: Best Coverage Options
- Liberty Mutual: Best Discounts
- Amica: Best Customer Service
Lemonade: Easiest Sign-Up
- J.D. Power Rating: NR
- AM Best Rating: NR
While Lemonade is far newer to the industry than its competitors in this review, the company has been a trailblazer in the home, auto, life, renters, and pet insurance industry. The AI-based insurer makes signing up for a policy simple, with a straightforward quote tool that allows you to tweak your coverages.
The company also stands out for its affordability, offering lower rates on average then most other providers we’ve reviewed.
Lemonade’s claims process is simple, and you may be able to get a claim for a simple loss like a stolen computer approved instantly when you submit a video claim.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Home Insurance
✔ Provides customizable personal property coverage
✔ Offers customer service through a portal, mobile app, and online chat
✔ Has a Giveback program that donates unused premium money to the charity of your choice
✘ Doesn’t have local agents
Additional Coverage Options
Lemonade offers the policy endorsements below:
- Extra valuables
- Buried utility/service line coverage
- Significant other
- Swimming pool liability
- Water back-up
- Appliance breakdown
- Extended reconstruction cost
Lemonade offers a handful of discounts, including home security, water leak detection, and fire safety discounts. It also offers a gated community discount, and a discount for bundling with another policy, such as Lemonade pet insurance.
Get Your Free Home Insurance Quote: Lemonade Quote
Learn More: Lemonade Homeowners Insurance Review
*A.M. Best ratings accurate as of January 2023
State Farm: Best Endorsements
State Farm is a nationally recognized homeowners insurance company. The company offers great endorsements for energy efficiency upgrades, identity theft, water backup, and much more. Customers can also bundle their home insurance with State Farm’s auto insurance to receive additional savings on both services.
State Farm provides a commendable customer experience through its digital resources and vast network of local agents, earning the highest J.D. Power score of any provider in this review for customer satisfaction.
Pros and Cons of State Farm Home Insurance
✔ Offers reputable customer support
✔ Providers user-friendly online resources
✔ Boasts a high degree of financial strength
✘ Has limited discounts by comparison to competitors like Allstate and Liberty Mutual
✘ May require you to contact an agent directly to get a quote
Additional Coverage Options
State Farm offers the optional coverages below:
- Loss assessment coverage for HOA charges
- Earthquake coverage
- Home systems protection
- Water backup coverage
- Flood policies (through the National Flood Insurance Program)
- Identity theft protection
State Farm generally offers the following discounts: multi-policy, home alert protection, claims-free, and roofing materials.
Get Free Quote: Call 1-360-262-2561
Learn More: State Farm Home Insurance Review
Allstate: Best Coverage Options
Allstate is one of our top picks for Michigan homeowners insurance, scoring well across all of our review standards. The company is one of the highest rated providers in this review, both for its customer service and financial strength.
Allstate offers 24/7 customer service, extensive, industry-standard coverage that includes dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments coverage, as well as a variety of unique add-on options.
It also offers a simple quoting process and useful digital tools, such as the Common and Costly Claims resource, which identifies common perils in your area.
While Allstate’s policies aren’t always as inexpensive as Lemonade’s, it offers a long lineup of discounts that can lower your rates.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Home Insurance
✔ Offers more extensive add-ons than most competitors
✔ Has one of the largest networks of local agents, with high third-party ratings for customer service
✔ Offers a unique discount for yard and garden
✘ Is one of the most expensive providers in this review, based on our secret shopping process
✘ Offers only three medical payments to others coverage options
Additional Coverage Options
Allstate offers several added coverages, including manufactured and mobile homes, scheduled personal property coverage, water backup protection, and yard and garden coverage.
It also has endorsements for green improvement restoration, home-sharing, electronic data recovery, identity theft restoration, and personal umbrella insurance. Additionally, you can insure your business property, musical instruments, and sports equipment,
Allstate’s discounts include:
- Easy pay
- Protective device
- Early signing
- Welcome and loyalty
- Home buyer
- Responsible payment
Get Your Free Home Insurance Quote: Allstate Quote
Learn More: Allstate Home Insurance Review
Liberty Mutual: Best Discounts
Liberty Mutual has been in business for over a century and is another highly recognizable name like Allstate with a range of insurance products.
Liberty Mutual earned a lower customer satisfaction score from J.D. Power than some providers in this review, but it has A-level ratings from both the BBB and AM Best.
It’s our top pick for customers looking to save with extensive discounts. Among others, it rewards you for renovating your home or installing a new roof.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual Home Insurance
✔ Offers an extensive selection of coverage options with customizable coverage amounts
✔ Allows you to easily file claims on a mobile app
✔ Has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB)*
✘ Has varied discounts and coverage by state, requiring you to get a quote or chat with an agent to see what you’re eligible for
✘ Restricts liability coverage for certain dog breeds
*Rating as of July 2022
Get Your Free Home Insurance Quote: Liberty Mutual Quote
Learn More: Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Review
Amica: Best Customer Service
If you’re looking for customizable liability coverage, you may want to go with an Amica homeowners insurance policy.
While Amica offers standard dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, and medical payments to others coverage, its liability coverage can be tailored to your home protection needs. You can purchase as much as $1 million of coverage or as little as $25,000.
But Amica stands out most for its superior customer service. It is the number one homeowners insurance provider based on overall customer satisfaction, according to the J.D. Power survey.
Pros and Cons of Amica Home Insurance
✔ Offers a deductible of up to $10,0000
✔ Is more affordable than the industry average
✔ Lets you increase personal property coverage with the valuable items endorsement
✘ Doesn’t provide 24/7 customer service
✘ Has fewer endorsements than Allstate and Lemonade
Additional Coverage Options
Amica offers extended dwelling replacement coverage, total replacement cost coverage, and scheduled personal property coverage.
It also provides home business coverage, identity fraud protection, and catastrophic coverage for earthquakes and flooding.
Amica offers the discounts below:
Learn More: Amica Home Insurance Review
What Is the Average Cost of Home Insurance in Michigan?
According to a 2021 study from the Insurance Information Institute, the average annual cost of homeowners insurance in Michigan was $981 in 2018. Compared to the national average of $1,249, Michigan’s rates were some of the most affordable in the nation.
The actual cost of your home insurance policy will vary based on where you live, the size of your home, and the coverage you choose.
What Risks Do Homeowners in Michigan Face the Most?
Michigan homeowners often face weather-related risks, which can lead to home insurance claims
Some of the most common perisl Michigan residents deal with include the following:
- Windstorms: Michigan has more than 3,000 miles of coastline, and residents who live along the Great Lakes face strong winds which result in downed trees, broken windows, and damage to homes’ structures.
- Water damage: Michigan sees its fair share of snow and ice storms in the winter and rain storms in the spring and summer. Both of these incidents can result in water damage, which is a common home insurance claim in the state.
- Flooding: Some Michigan residents also face frequent flooding as a result of the state’s location, topography, and weather. Home insurance providers can help you purchase a flood insurance policy.
- Theft/vandalism: If you live in a larger city like Detroit, your risk of being burglarized is higher. This is a common claim for many Michigan residents.
Which is the Best Homeowners Insurance Provider in Michigan for You?
Our overall recommendation for homeowners insurance in Michigan is Lemonade. The company’s premiums are hard to beat, and its user experience is ideal for applicants looking for quick quotes and claims filing with limited interaction.
However, each of the providers in this review earned its spot and has something unique to offer. Before you buy a policy, be sure to check quotes from multiple providers to land on just the right company for your needs.
FAQs About Homeowners Insurance in Michigan
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
The This Old House Reviews Team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.