Protect your home and personal belongings with a homeowners insurance policy that can keep you safe from financial hardship after a natural disaster, fire, theft, or other covered peril.
To help you find the best home insurance companies in Massachusetts, the This Old House Reviews team researched the top homeowners insurance providers in the state and rated them on factors such as policy coverage, pricing, and benefits.
We recommend getting quotes from each of the insurers listed in this review by using this online quote tool or calling 855-948-5219.
Lemonade: Easiest Sign-Up
- J.D. Power Rating: NR
- AM Best Rating: NR
Lemonade is relatively new to the home insurance industry, but it has strived to create a unique experience for customers. It has a sign-up tool on its website and mobile app that takes less than 90 seconds to complete to get a quote. Customers can also use the mobile app to manage their policy, make payments, connect with customer service, and submit claims.
Here are some other unique features offered by Lemonade:
- Has a helpful mobile app that uses AI technology
- Has a mission-driven donation program for charities
- Is more affordable compared to the other providers in this review
Get Your Free Home Insurance Quote: Lemonade Quote
Learn More: Lemonade Home Insurance Review
*A.M. Best ratings accurate as of October 2022
Allstate: Best Coverage Options
We recommend Allstate to Massachusetts homeowners for its impressive overall coverage, endorsements, customer service, and reputation. The company also offers helpful online resources during the quote process to ensure that you’re informed on all the coverage options you may need.
Travelers: Most Experience
Founded in 1864, Travelers is one of the most experienced homeowners insurance providers in the industry and is known for its wide range of personal property coverage and deductible options. For example, you can decrease your personal property coverage to 25 percent of your dwelling limit and increase your deductible up to $50,000 to make your premium as low as $40 per month.*
*Based on the quote our team received
Take advantage of the following benefits when purchasing a policy from Travelers:
- Claims center open 24/7
- A variety of personal property coverage options from 25 to 100 percent
- An add-on that decreases your deductible each year that you keep a policy
Get Your Free Home Insurance Quote: Travelers Quote
Learn More: Travelers Home Insurance Review
Massachusetts Homeowners Insurance Coverage
Here are the typical coverage types included in standard homeowners insurance policies in Massachusetts:
- Dwelling—This covers the structure of a building. It pays for any necessary repairs or the rebuilding of your home if it gets destroyed during a covered peril. The amount of maximum coverage you need is typically equal to the appraised value of your house. Each insurer in this review has tools to help you determine how much dwelling coverage you need.
- Other structures—This includes coverage for other buildings that aren’t considered part of your home, such as a fence or shed in your yard. The maximum coverage amount typically equals 10 percent of your total dwelling limit.
- Liability—This coverage is critical for homeowners, since it offers financial protection when someone else gets injured on your property. It typically covers medical bills and legal fees if you’re sued over an incident.
- Medical payments to others—Similar to liability coverage, this type of coverage covers medical payments for those who are injured in or around your house, specifically from no-fault accidents. The coverage limit is typically around $1,000–$2,000 per policy.
- Loss of use—After a covered peril, you may be displaced from your house if it’s declared unlivable. In this case, loss of use coverage would help you pay for additional living expenses, such as a hotel or extra gas for commuting.
- Personal property—This covers most of the personal belongings within your home when a covered peril occurs. For example, if there’s a fire in your home and all of your furniture is ruined, you can file a personal property claim to replace these items.
How Much Does Home Insurance Cost in Massachusetts?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in Massachusetts is $1,543 per year according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). This is higher than the national average annual premium of $1,249.
Keep in mind that quotes can vary depending on factors, such as your claims history, credit score, building age, and home size.
Factors To Consider Before Buying Homeowners Insurance
Here are a few factors to think about when purchasing a home insurance policy:
- Claims history—If you’ve filed a claim within the last few years, your insurance rates may be higher. Shop around for the most competitive pricing and coverage options to make sure you get the best deal on your policy. If you don’t have a recent claims history, you may be eligible to receive special discounts from the providers in this review.
- Personal property—Each of these companies offers customizable personal property coverage limits. We recommend taking inventory of your belongings and estimating their value to ensure that you’re completely covered after a disaster.
- Endorsements—Consider including a few add-ons to your policy for more coverage. For example, if you have a pool, you may want to purchase Lemonade’s swimming pool liability coverage endorsement for extra coverage.
- Deductibles—Choosing higher deductibles can help lower your premium, but it may cost you more money out of pocket during a claim. Travelers has impressive deductible options that can help lower your monthly premium cost. It also includes a decreasing deductible add-on that lowers your premiums by $100 each year that you keep your policy.
Comparing the Top Providers of Home Insurance in Massachusetts
|Lemonade||Get Quote||Easiest Sign-Up|
|State Farm||Get Quote||Best Endorsements|
|Allstate||Get Quote||Best Coverage Options|
|Travelers||Get Quote||Most Experience|
|American Family||Get Quote||Most Comprehensive Coverage|
|Liberty Mutual||Get Quote||Best Discounts|
If you’re looking for an affordable home insurance company with unique technological features, consider Lemonade. For the best overall policies, check out Allstate. For the most experienced provider with customizable pricing, consider Travelers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
The This Old House Reviews Team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.