In 2019, Endurance Home Warranty received a slew of complaints from consumer reporting sites, with customers expressing concerns about the company’s lack of response to filed claims. For example, one customer said the company dodged their calls and refused to send a technician to repair their pool, despite the coverage being outlined in their plan.
As of April 2019, the company halted operations due to customer complaints and accusations of fraud. Though Endurance isn’t a trustworthy home warranty company, there are trusted home warranty providers available that offer comprehensive and affordable coverage at affordable prices.
The This Old House Reviews Team has done the research for you and compared top home warranty companies in the industry to help you find the best home warranty.
Top-Rated Alternatives to Endurance Home Warranty
With a home warranty from one of these top-rated companies, you can rest assured that you’ll receive comprehensive, affordable coverage along with accessible, responsive customer service.
1. American Home Shield
Our top home warranty provider is American Home Shield (AHS). The company is a home warranty veteran, with almost 50 years in the industry.
Here are the pros and cons of choosing American Home Shield for your home warranty coverage:
2. Select Home Warranty
Another top provider is Select Home Warranty. The company has positioned itself as an affordable and comprehensive home warranty company, offering free roof coverage and low monthly premiums to its customers. It offers three coverage plans, each covering the repair or replacement of different appliances and systems throughout your home.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of signing up for a Select Home Warranty:
At This Old House, we strive to provide transparent reviews, only recommending companies that provide honest coverage. That’s why we would never recommend Endurance Home Warranty, or any other company with similar coverage and lack of customer satisfaction, as a provider.
If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage and affordable plans, we recommend American Home Shield and Select Home Warranty.
Our Preferred Provider: American Home Shield
As one of the most trusted companies in the home warranty industry, American Home Shield has comprehensive coverage, even allowing customers to build their own plan. They also provide responsive customer service and offer coverage throughout the continental United States, excluding Alaska.
Our Rating Methodology
We back up our home warranty ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to score each provider objectively. We conduct research by speaking with company representatives, requesting quotes, analyzing sample contracts, and conducting focus groups and consumer surveys.
We score each provider against our review standards, which include four comparison categories: coverage, value, trust and transparency, and availability and service. We rate each provider across 31 factors within these categories. Each factor is assigned a point value based on its importance to a homeowner, totaling 100 points. We then convert the final scores to a 5-star rating.
Here’s a breakdown of our weighted factors:
- Coverage (40%): We scored coverage based on included home systems and appliances, add-on options, and unique benefits. We also compared coverage caps and policy exclusions.
- Additional coverage items
- Annual coverage cap
- Home systems coverage
- Major appliances coverage
- Obstructed wall coverage cap
- Value (30%): We compared the coverage level received to monthly pricing to determine plan value. We considered premium pricing, service fees, and flexibility in customizing plan costs.
- Average monthly cost
- Cost flexibility
- Lowest service fee
- Trust and Transparency (16%): We evaluated each company’s reputation using the Better Business Bureau ratings and customer reviews on third-party review sites. We read through plan change policies, workmanship protections, and sample contract availability.
- Brand reputation
- Policy change flexibility
- Sample contract availability
- Workmanship guarantee length
- Availability and Service (14%): We award higher scores for faster claim processing and response times. We also considered service technician policies, including options to choose your technician.
- Claims process
- Guaranteed response time
- Service flexibility
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.