* — Some quote tools included in this article only provide quotes from a third party.
With over a century worth of experience in the insurance industry, Amica® Mutual Insurance Company has established itself as a trusted provider of renters insurance. Winning numerous J.D. Power awards for customer satisfaction, Amica prides itself on offering reliable renters insurance policies that fit your home protection needs.
In this Amica renters insurance review, the This Old House Reviews Team looks into plans, customizable coverage, pricing, customer service, and more to see how the company compares to other top renters insurance providers. Read on to learn if Amica is the best option for you.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of a renters insurance policy with Amica:
Pros & Cons of Amica Renters Insurance
|✔ No limit on personal property coverage||✘ Doesn’t go into detail for which events you’re protected from under coverage|
|✔ Offers deductibles as low as $100||✘ Isn’t available nationwide|
|✔ Provides five different discounts||–|
Amica Renters Insurance Coverage
Amica doesn’t go into detail on the events each renters insurance policy covers, though most policies cover events such as:
- Fire and lightning
- Windstorm and hail
- Smoke damage
- Falling objects
- Weight of snow, ice, or sleet
- Damage from water-heating appliances and systems
- Short-circuit damage
When you purchase a renters insurance policy from Amica, you’ll receive coverage in the following four areas:
1. Coverage for Medical Expenses to Others
This coverage pays for medical expenses for guests who are injured in your rental unit. The quote we received from Amica covered $1,000 for medical payments to others.
2. Personal Liability Coverage
Personal liability coverage covers damages that you’re legally liable for, including damage to a neighbor or property. Typically, landlords require at least $100,000 worth of personal liability coverage. Our Amica quote covered $100,000 for personal liability.
3. Personal Property Coverage
If your personal belongings need to be repaired or replaced due to a covered event, like fire, theft, or a windstorm, this coverage covers the cost. Unlike homeowners insurance, personal property coverage doesn’t cover the structure of your rental unit. The Amica quote we received covered $25,000 for personal property.
4. Loss of Use Coverage
Loss of use coverage pays for additional expenses when your home is uninhabitable. Common loss of use coverage expenses include a hotel room and food. Our Amica quote included coverage of $5,000 for loss of use.
Here’s an example of coverage options through an Amica renters insurance policy:
Amica Range of Coverage
|Coverage Type||Range of Coverage|
|Personal Property||No limit|
|Medical Payments to Others||$1,000–$5,000|
|Loss of Use||20% of personal property coverage|
Note: The amount of coverage provided is based on a variety of factors, including the rental location, proximity to a fire station, and whether or not an alarm system is installed in the unit.
Amica Renters Insurance Optional Coverage
Amica Mutual offers four optional coverages, or endorsements, that you can tack onto your policy for an additional cost, widening the coverage offered through your selected plan. Amica optional coverage includes:
- Personal Property Replacement: Personal property replacement coverage through Amica considers the value of your belongings at the time of purchase before issuing repairs or replacements. Some policies through Amica include this endorsement in standard coverage.
- Scheduled Personal Property: This coverage broadens the range of personal property coverage, protecting valuables like jewelry and fine art.
- Smart Devices and Computer: Coverage from this endorsement protects your computer, laptop, tablet, and smartphone.
- Identity Fraud: If your identity is stolen, this coverage will cover part of the charges associated with actions like unauthorized credit card use.
How Much Does Amica Renters Insurance Cost?
To give you an idea of how much an Amica renters insurance policy costs, we requested an online quote from the company. Here’s a quote for a single-family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina:
Cost of Amica Renters Insurance
Your Amica renters insurance deductible can be $100, $250, $500, $1,000, or $2,500.
To get an online quote from Amica, have the following personal information ready for a speedy quote process:
- Date of birth
Amica Renters Insurance Discounts
To help you save money on your monthly premium, Amica offers the following discounts:
- Loyalty Discount: If you’ve been with Amica for at least two years, you’ll receive a discount on your policy.
- Claim-Free Discount: If you’ve filed no claims over three three years, you’ll receive a discount.
- Multi-Line Discount: Bundling your renters and car insurance with Amica saves you up to 15%.
- Autopay Discount: When you register to auto pay your monthly premium, you’re eligible for a discount.
- E-Discount: If you opt to get your bill electronically, you’re eligible for a discount.
Customer Service and Claims Support
Amica prides itself on its award-winning local customer service. Note: their customer service hours vary by state and local insurance branch.
For filing claims, Amica allows its customers to do so online through their customer portal or by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Through the online portal, customers can update their profile, make payments, print ID cards, e-sign documents, report and track claims, and upload and view documents.
Amica renters insurance provides customizable renters insurance coverage that is both comprehensive and affordable. At around $13 per month, Amica customers receive competitive coverage with top-of-the-line customer service.
To go along with its comprehensive coverage, Amica offers four optional coverages to help supplement your policy and up to five qualifying discounts. The company even offers a $100 credit for each year you have a renters insurance policy, which can be applied to a future home insurance policy.
If you’re unsure whether Amica Mutual Insurance is a good fit, consider getting quotes from a couple of competitors to compare coverage and pricing.
If you’re not sure whether Amica Renters Insurance is right for you, compare it to other top-rated renters insurance companies below.
Compare Renters Insurance Companies
Award-winning customer service
Credit card coverage in the basic policy
24/7 for claims; limited for sales and service
24/7 for claims; limited for sales and service
- Company Name: Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- CEO: Robert A. DiMuccio
- Years in Business: 113
- State Availability: All states except AK and HI
- Address: 100 Amica Way
- City/State: Lincoln, RI
- Zip Code: 02865-1156
- A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating: A+
Frequently Asked Questions About Amica Renters Insurance
How do I find the best policy for me?
To find the best renters insurance policy, request quotes from top providers in your area. Compare each provider’s coverage options, pricing, and customer service to determine which renters insurance policy is right for you.
What does the cancellation policy look like?
To cancel a renters insurance policy from Amica, customers can call 800-242-6422. Cancelling your policy may require you to pay a cancellation fee.
How can I file a claim?
Amica renters insurance customers can file a claim online through the customer portal or call the 24/7 customer claims hotline at 800-242-6422.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.