In This Review: Our Take | Pros and Cons | Cost and Discounts | Coverage | Availability | Customer Reviews | Conclusion | Comparison | Company Information | FAQs | Methodology
All of your assets are worth protecting. When it comes to your home, you have to be confident in its protection. Purchasing a comprehensive home insurance policy to safeguard it in the event of burglary or disasters can help you rest easy at night.
But how do you choose the best homeowners insurance company for you? The This Old House Reviews Team has created this in-depth Allstate home insurance review, evaluating the provider’s coverage, availability, costs, and more, to help you determine if it’s the best fit for your needs.
To get home insurance quotes from multiple companies in your area, call 855-948-5219 or click on the link below:
Our Take on Allstate Home Insurance
Allstate is the second-largest home insurance company in the country, offering both extensive, industry-standard coverage and a variety of significant add-on options, along with many opportunities for discounts.
Coverage is available nationwide, and quotes are easy to obtain using convenient online tools. We give Allstate an overall score of 98.10 based on metrics like coverage, availability, customer service, and more.
However, the prices for Allstate home insurance are slightly higher than its competitors, meaning that it’s possible customers could get similar coverage for a lower rate with another company.
On Allstate’s Better Business Bureau profile, common complaints involve claim denials. In reviews, some customers noted the claims process was difficult, while others stated it was smooth.
Pros and Cons
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Allstate home insurance.
How Much Does Allstate Home Insurance Cost?
The exact cost of Allstate homeowners insurance depends on a variety of factors, including your property value, size, and the materials it was constructed with, where you live, the coverage limits you select, the insurance deductible you choose, and more.
We requested a quote for a single-family home in Houston, Texas of roughly 2,200 square feet.
Its monthly cost of $302 is significantly higher than the national average of $101, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
Allstate Home Insurance Discounts
Allstate offers a variety of discounts to help reduce the cost of your home insurance coverage. Here are a few examples of common savings opportunities you may qualify for:
- Multi-policy: This discount is for bundling home insurance with other Allstate insurance policies and is perfect for homeowners who already have a car insurance policy with Allstate.
- Early-signing: This is a discount for new customers who sign up for a policy at least one week before their existing policy expires. This is great for homeowners looking to change providers and those who want to shop ahead of time for their next home insurance policy.
- Home alarm: This discount allows homeowners to save money if they have safety features, such as monitored burglar or fire alarms, installed in their home.
- Roof: Allstate provides this discount for homeowners who have weather-resistant roofs or roofs that have extra protective features against harsh conditions such as hail, sleet, or snow.
- Smoke-free: Allstate rewards homeowners who don’t smoke, since smoking indoors can be dangerous.
- Storm shutter: Installing storm shutters is a great way to lower your premiums if your home is located near the coast or is in an area with a higher risk of storms, since shutters help protect your home from damaging winds.
- Homebuyer: This discount is for customers with newly constructed homes or customers who recently purchased their home and is ideal for those shopping for a policy on their new house.
- Easy Pay Plan: If you sign up for automatic premium payments, you’ll receive a discount on your premiums. This discount is a great way to save extra, help ensure you make payments on-time, and avoid any late payment penalties.
- Age 55 and retired: This discount is for qualifying older people in retirement.
- Welcome and loyalty: Customers who switch to Allstate will receive this discount. It remains in effect for every year the homeowner stays with Allstate and renews their policy.
Allstate Home Insurance Coverage
Allstate offers all the types of industry-standard coverage alongside a range of additional coverage add-ons to help supplement your homeowners insurance policy.
In addition, Allstate offers a wide range of supplemental coverage to help you fine-tune and customize your policy to your specific needs.
Allstate Home Insurance State Availability
Allstate is one of the most widely available home insurance providers, offering policies in all 50 states.
However, the online quote tool may not be available in some states, but you can always reach out to a representative or a local agent to get an estimate.
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
Customer Reviews of Allstate Insurance
Allstate is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, but the company does hold an A+ rating from the organization. However, customers on the site have given Allstate just over 1 out of 5 stars. Here’s what some people had to say about their experience with Allstate Insurance.
Marissa G. said:
“We have always had a good experience with Allstate. Only had to file one claim in the past 10 years or so but it was fixed and paid for. Staff have been friendly and no complaints!”
“We filed a claim after a reputable roofing company inspected our roof and found heavy wind damage, after we had damage to two rooms in our home, and believed, because our roof was 15 years old, that it needed to be completely replaced. Allstate thought differently and won’t even pay for the repairs to the inside of our home, although one of the two rooms had significant damage to the ceiling. Have done business with them for well over a decade, but will be taking our business somewhere else! Very disappointed in Allstate throughout this entire process! Don’t recommend AT ALL!!”
Allstate is the second-largest home insurance company in the U.S., offering a wide variety of coverage and many different discount opportunities nationwide.
All of the standard industry coverage is included, as well as significant supplemental coverage for energy efficiency, musical instruments, sports equipment, and more.
However, Allstate’s prices for its homeowners insurance policies are more expensive than some of the company’s competitors. Budget-conscious home insurance shoppers may want to sign up for a policy elsewhere.
We give Allstate an overall score of 98.10 out of 100.
Our recommendation for any homeowner is to get quotes from multiple home insurance companies that service your area so you can find the provider that is right for you. To get free quotes from providers near you, call 855-948-5219 or enter your zip code in the tool below:
Allstate vs. The Competition
See how Allstate compares to other homeowners insurance providers:
*Lemonade home insurance is available in AZ, CA, CO, DC, CT, GA, IL, IN, IA, MD, MA, MI, MO, NV, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, TN, TX, VA, WI
For more in-depth comparisons, refer to the following resources:
Allstate Home Insurance FAQs
The This Old HouseReviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
Our Reviews team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.