If there’s anything Louisiana residents love even more than homemade gumbo, it’s their four-legged friends. Whether you live in New Orleans or Baton Rouge, a pet health insurance policy can reduce out-of-pocket costs for vet bills and give your pet the care it deserves during an accident or emergency.
To discover the best pet insurance companies in the United States, the This Old House Reviews Team combed through key metrics such as customer service, benefits, pricing, policy details, and coverage. We also compiled quotes for 4-year-old cats and dogs in Louisiana to give you a more accurate idea of pricing for each pet insurance provider.
Louisiana’s Top 5 Pet Insurance Providers
- Prudent Pet: Most Comprehensive Plan
- Embrace: Best Deductibles
- Healthy Paws: Best Coverage Limit
- Petplan: Best Holistic Coverage
- Pawp: Best Digital Clinic
Prudent Pet’s comprehensive coverage that spans from an Accident-Only Plan to an Unlimited Plan makes it our top choice for pet parents in Louisiana looking for either minimal or maximum benefits.
- Our score: 95
- Unlimited Plan benefits cover perks such as lost-pet advertising and vacation cancellation fees, which are items not covered by most other providers
- Has a 24/7 live online chat option that provides support to policyholders
- Its 10% multi-pet discount offers a lower rate to pet owners insuring more than one animal
Prudent Pet Pros and Cons
✔ Its low-cost Accident-Only Plan offers $10,000 of coverage for unexpected injuries
✔ Offers three plans, three preventative care levels, and one add-on, giving it a wider span of options than many competitors
✔ Doesn’t require an exam to enroll your pet in coverage
✘ Its Ultimate Plan often has a higher price point than competitor options for unlimited coverage
✘ Doesn’t provide flexible coverage limits: The Essential and Accident-Only Plans have a maximum $10,000 coverage cap, while the Ultimate Plan offers unlimited coverage
Prudent Pet Plans and Coverage
Prudent Pet offers three distinct tiers of coverage, ranging from Accident-Only to the extensive Ultimate plan.
- Accident-Only Plan: Best for those who need minimum coverage in case of an emergency, the Accident-Only Plan covers costs for hospitalization, surgery, dental injuries, prescription medications, swallowed objects, and alternative therapies when prescribed by a licensed veterinarian.
- Essential Plan: Building on the coverage offered in the Accident-Only Plan, the Essential Plan covers illnesses and conditions such as cancer diagnosis and treatment, digestive illness, urinary infections, and $250 to go toward behavioral treatment.
- Ultimate Plan: This plan has an unlimited coverage cap, meaning that there is no maximum price the company will pay when it comes to eligible accidents and illnesses. This plan covers all items in the Essential and Accident-Only Plans and adds on coverage for items such as advertising and reward fees if your pet is lost, costs for boarding your pet if you are hospitalized for more than four days and can’t take care of your pet, and replacement costs for lost or stray pets. It also increases behavioral treatment coverage to $1,000.
Wellness Add-On: Prudent Pet also offers a wellness add-on that’s available at three different price points to cover costs from routine care and a vet exam fee add-on for a few more dollars each month.
All three Prudent Pet plans exclude coverage for herbal or natural treatments, pre-existing conditions, anal gland expression, and traveling vet costs.
Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Cost
Based on the quotes we received from Prudent Pet, pet insurance plans for dogs in Louisiana range between $10 and $58 per month, while monthly premiums for cats span from $8 to $27.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Prudent Pet
Learn More: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Review
If you want to purchase a pet insurance policy from a provider that has unlimited coverage caps and a long history of giving pets healthy homes, Healthy Paws is an excellent choice.
- Our score: 93.5
- Has lower prices for unlimited coverage than other providers on this list
- Plans do not have a per-limit, annual, or lifetime coverage cap, meaning that the plan’s benefits will not run out for covered conditions after a certain amount
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to new customers
Healthy Paws Pros and Cons
✔ The company app offers helpful resources on pet health and training
✔ According to its website, the company has a quick turnaround time for claims; most are paid out within two days
✔ Each filled-out quote results in a donation toward ending pet homelessness
✘ Offers fewer customization plans than competitors: provides only one plan and has fixed prices for older animals
✘ Its 15-day waiting period is lengthier than most pet insurance providers
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
Healthy Paws offers one plan for accidents and illnesses, covering costs such as:
- Hereditary and congenital conditions that were inherited or present from birth, such as heart defects
- Diagnostics and imaging, such as ultrasounds, X-rays, and blood tests
- Emergency and specialty care
- Hospitalization and surgery
- Prescription medications
The plan does not include an option for a wellness add-on. Healthy Paws plans exclude spaying, neutering, office visit and exam fees, pre-existing conditions, behavioral treatment, pet diets, and costs for preventative or routine care.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cost
Healthy Paws quotes for pets in Louisiana ranged between $35 and $71 per month for dogs and between $23 and $28 per month for cats, according to our research.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Healthy Paws
Learn More: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
Embrace stands out for its multiple deductible choices and unique deductible benefit, making it a great option for pet parents who want to customize their plan.
- Our score: 93.5
- Its Wellness Rewards add-on covers 100% of included routine care costs rather than reimbursing a specified percentage
- Has been insuring pets since 2003, which is longer than most providers on this list
- Its Healthy Pet Deductible lowers your deductible by $50 for each year you go without filing a claim
Embrace Pros and Cons
✔ Offers a 10% discount for military and veterans and a 10% discount for insuring multiple pets
✔ Its standard policy covers exam fees, which is considered an add-on by most competitors
✔ Allows customers to choose between five deductible amounts: $200, $300, $500, $750, and $1,000
✘ Wellness plan options are more expensive than competitor add-ons for routine care
✘ Doesn’t provide an option for unlimited care, with a $30,000 maximum annual limit available
Embrace Plans and Coverage
Embrace’s single plan covers accident and illness expenses, such as:
- Genetic conditions such as hip dysplasia
- Dental trauma
- Cancer diagnosis and treatment, including chemotherapy
- Chronic conditions like allergies
- Imaging like MRIs, ultrasounds, X-rays, and CT scans
- Physical therapy prescribed by a licensed veterinarian
Embrace also offers a Wellness Rewards option for additional coverage, which is designed to cover the cost of routine chiropractic care, teeth cleaning, training classes, vaccines, routine visits to the veterinarian, microchipping, and more.
The coverage offered by Embrace excludes items such as DNA testing or cloning, pre-existing conditions, cosmetic procedures, injury or illness due to fighting or neglect, and costs involved with breeding and pregnancy.
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
According to the quotes we received for pet insurance in Louisiana, Embrace’s monthly premiums range from $22 to $45 for dogs and $18 to $20 for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Embrace
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
For pet owners seeking well-rounded care for a furry family member, Petplan offers holistic benefits, generous behavioral treatment limits, and extra perks such as virtual vet visits.
- Our score: 91.5
- Offers a 10% discount for pets that were adopted from shelters or rescues
- Provides up to $1,000 of telehealth benefits
- Covers holistic treatment options, such as stem cell therapy, homeopathic remedies, hydrotherapy, and acupuncture
Petplan Pros and Cons
✔ Dental coverage offers comprehensive care for dental illness, while most competitors only cover dental trauma
✔ Offers 15% off your policy renewal if you have not filed a claim in the last year—which can accumulate up to 30% off after two years without claims
✔ Provides $1,000 of behavioral treatment in all plans, which is typically an add-on or only available with a higher coverage cap through other providers
✘ Older pets and larger breeds often have higher premiums with Petplan than competitors
✘ Requires a recent exam to enroll your pet in coverage (this exam is not covered by Petplan)
Petplan Plans and Coverage
Petplan has one plan designed to cover accidents and illnesses and covers costs related to:
- Alternative therapies, such as stem cell treatment, homeopathy, chiropractic care, and acupuncture
- Telehealth veterinary services
- Laboratory and diagnostic testing
- Prescription medications and cancer treatments
- Surgery and rehabilitation
- Vacation cancellation costs due to a sick pet
Petplan does not offer any add-on options for additional benefits. Petplan policies exclude pre-existing conditions, routine and wellness care costs, and cosmetic or elective procedures that are not medically necessary.
Petplan Pet Insurance Cost
When our team performed secret shopping for Petplan prices in Louisiana, we found that the average monthly premium for dogs was between $25 and $54, while monthly premiums for cats ranged between $20 and $24.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Petplan
Learn More: Petplan Pet Insurance Review
Unlike the other providers on this list, Pawp is an alternative to pet insurance. This digital clinic provides an accompanying emergency fund for those who need minimal coverage while maintaining peace of mind that their pet is covered in a crisis.
- Our score: 90
- Offers one plan at a flat rate that covers up to six pets
- No deductibles involved—Pawp pays your vet directly
- Offers $3,000 of coverage for one life-threatening veterinary emergency each year
Pawp Pros and Cons
✔ One membership can cover up to six pets
✔ Charges a flat rate of $24 per month, regardless of your pet’s age or breed
✔ Provides 24/7 virtual access to a veterinarian for consultations and advice
✘ Only one emergency vet visit is covered per year, even if you do not meet your $3,000 limit, need to visit a veterinarian multiple times, or have more than one pet enrolled in the fund
✘ Pawp’s digital clinic must approve your emergency before you can use the emergency fund
Pawp Plans and Coverage
Pawp offers one membership, rather than an insurance plan, that extends only to life-threatening emergencies, such as:
- Serious injuries
- Toxic ingestions
- Life-threatening blockages
Pawp considers a covered emergency to be an injury or illness that must be treated within four hours of the incident for the pet to survive. No wellness or routine care add-on is offered.
Pawp’s emergency fund excludes coverage for routine care, scheduled procedures, conditions related to pregnancy or breeding, or any other issue not considered an emergency by a Pawp vet.
Pawp Pet Insurance Cost
Pawp’s emergency fund membership costs one flat rate of $24 per month for one of up to six pets, no matter their age, breed, or location. Pawp may be best for older dogs that may incur high policy prices elsewhere.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Pawp
Learn more: Pawp Pet Insurance Review
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Louisiana?
Based on our secret shopping for Louisiana pet insurance quotes, we found that pet insurance for dogs in Louisiana averages between $10 and $54 per month, while the monthly cost of pet insurance for cats averages between $8 and $28.
However, several elements can affect the price of premiums you are quoted for pet insurance, including:
- Species: As seen in the information above, dogs are more expensive to insure than cats. This is due to their higher likelihood of developing health conditions as they age.
- Breed: Small and mixed-breed dogs often have lower premiums than purebred large dogs. This is because larger dogs have an increased risk of expensive ailments like hip dysplasia and cancer. Additionally, purebred cats such as Siamese or Ragdoll breeds can encounter more health issues, making mixed breeds such as domestic medium-hair cats less expensive to insure.
- Customization: A lower deductible, higher reimbursement rate, and higher coverage cap will raise your payments. For example, through Prudent Pet, an Essential Plan with a low $100 deductible and a high 90% reimbursement rate for a 4-year-old mixed dog would cost $58.50 per month. The same dog’s monthly plan would cost only $29.68 with a raised $250 deductible and a lowered 80% reimbursement rate.
- Age: Pets become more expensive to insure as they age, with premiums spiking around 6 years old. In some cases, insuring your dog or cat at a younger age can mitigate how much their insurance premium raises as they age.
- Location: Where you live can affect the pet insurance rate you are quoted. Veterinary care tends to be more expensive in urban areas due to the higher price of living in cities rather than rural communities. Therefore, pet insurance also tends to cost more for those dwelling in metropolitan ZIP codes.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pet Insurance in LA
Do all veterinarians in Louisiana take pet insurance?
In contrast to human health insurance, veterinarians do not operate in specified insurance networks. In almost all cases, pet insurance companies will reimburse pet parents for eligible costs incurred at any licensed veterinarian in the U.S.
Is pet insurance in Louisiana worth it?
In a survey we conducted of 1,000 pet owners, 43% of respondents stated that they would have to use a credit card to pay for a veterinary emergency, and another 9% did not know where they’d get the funds to support their pet’s health. Pet insurance covers your pet during an emergency and can provide peace of mind, allowing owners to focus on their companion’s health journey instead of worrying about finances during an accident, illness, or injury.
What is the waiting period for pet insurance?
All pet insurance companies have waiting periods to prevent fraud, though the length of time may differ for each provider. If an accident or illness occurs after enrollment but during the policy’s waiting period, it will not be covered under your new plan. Typically, waiting periods can range from two to four days.
Do younger pets need pet insurance?
While many pet parents wait until their animals are older to consider insurance, it may be wise to purchase a plan when your pet is young to avoid paying higher premiums as it ages. It’s also worth noting that Embrace offers a wellness plan that can help cover the routine care costs common in puppies and kittens, such as microchipping, routine vaccines, training, spaying and neutering, and wellness exam fees.
For low rates and comprehensive coverage options, our top pick in Louisiana is Prudent Pet. Pet owners who want a customizable deductible may prefer Embrace, while Pawp can be an excellent choice for Louisiana residents seeking minimal, emergency-only plans.
Comparing the Top Pet Insurance Providers in Louisiana
As always, we recommend getting three quotes to compare personalized pricing information in your area.
*Based on sample quotes for a mixed 4-year-old dog in New Orleans, LA, with a 70118 ZIP code.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.