Toggle is a subsidiary company of Farmers Insurance Group, which has been providing a wide range of insurance policies to customers for more than 90 years. With Farmers’ long tenure in the insurance industry, you can trust the customizable coverage you get through Toggle.
The This Old House Reviews Team has created this comprehensive Toggle renters insurance review to help you decide if the company is the best provider for you and your home. Keep reading to learn about the company’s coverage, customer service, and cost.
Pros and Cons of Toggle Renters Insurance
Compare the benefits and drawbacks of Toggle renters insurance:
Pros & Cons of Toggle Renters Insurance
|✔ Allows you to customize how much and the type of personal property coverage you want||✘ Can’t talk to a customer service representative over the phone|
|✔ Created by Farmers Insurance Group, which has over 90 years of experience||✘ Only available in 25 states|
|✔ Customers can view a sample contract on the website||–|
Toggle Renters Insurance Coverage
Toggle renters insurance is an all-risk policy, which means every event is covered except for the ones explicitly stated as not covered.
Toggle provides loss of use, liability, and medical payment coverage like other insurance providers. Where the company differs is on how personal property is handled. Toggle offers a blanket coverage of $1,000 for any personal property. If you want to add more coverage, you can customize the coverage amounts by breaking it into six personal property subcategories.
Here’s an overview of those subcategories and the other types of coverage:
- Blanket Coverage: This coverage is included in every plan you purchase, providing $1,000 of protection for any personal property.
- Technology Coverage: This personal property category protects electronics like laptops, phones, and TVs.
- Furniture + Appliances Coverage: This covers couches, chairs, beds, tables, wall decor, and kitchen appliances.
- Fashion + Jewelry Coverage: This provides coverage for clothing, accessories, makeup, and other related items.
- Creative + Maker Coverage: This protects items needed to make artistic creations like cameras, 3D printers, and DJ equipment.
- Active Coverage: This part of the policy protects equipment you use to exercise like bikes, yoga mats, and sports equipment.
- Collectibles Coverage: Collectibles coverage is for more valuable items that you collect, like artwork, heirlooms, and antiques.
- Loss of Use Coverage: Toggle calls this coverage, “temporary living costs,” and it’s available as an add-on. It covers a certain amount of additional living expenses per day when an event makes your home temporarily unlivable.
- Liability Coverage: If you’re responsible for causing injury to a neighbor or damage to their personal property, your liability coverage will pay for any costs associated with making repairs or replacements or paying medical bills. It will even cover legal fees if they sue you.
- Coverage for Medical Payments to Others: This part of the policy pays for medical bills for a guest that gets injured in your home.
Here are the coverage limits for each of those areas of coverage:
Toggle Range of Coverage
|Type of Coverage||Range of Coverage|
|Type of Coverage||Range of Coverage|
|Furniture + Appliances||$0–$20,000|
|Fashion + Jewelry||$0–$10,000|
|Creative + Maker||$0–$10,000|
|Loss of use||$0, $50, $100, or $150 per day|
|Liability||$100,000, $200,000, or $300,000|
|Medical payments to others||No limit|
|Deductible||$100, $250, $500, or $1,000|
Toggle Optional Coverage
Here are the optional coverages you can add to your plan in addition to temporary living costs:
- Pet Parent Coverage: This protects damage your pet causes. Protected pets include fully domesticated animals like dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and rodents.
- Replacement Cost Coverage: Toggle’s base policy is an actual cash value policy, so it replaces your items according to what they’re worth now. With this add-on, you can get a replacement cash value policy, which replaces the items as if they were new.
- Side Hustle Coverage: If you have a side job that you do at home, you can purchase this add-on to protect your work and equipment.
- Identity Protector Coverage: This add-on protects your identity by sending you monitoring alerts and giving you professional support if your identity is stolen.
- Significant Other Coverge: If you live with a significant other that you aren’t married to, you can add them to your policy.
What’s Not Covered By Toggle Renters Insurance
Toggle offers sample contracts for each state, and all of the sample contracts include these events as exclusions:
- Neglect, Lack of Maintenance, or Failure to Make Repairs: If you fail to properly care for an item, Toggle will not pay for its repair or replacement.
- Destructive Acts: Any intentional or unintentional damage that arises out of destructive behavior will not be covered.
- Nuclear Hazard: This includes nuclear reactions, nuclear radiation, or radioactive contamination.
- Intentional Acts: Similar to destructive acts, any behavior that intentionally causes damage or harm isn’t covered.
- Governmental Action: Toggle’s policy will not protect you if a government authority confiscates, seizes, quarantines, condemns, or destroys you or your property.
- Mysterious Disappearance: If you misplace your property, Toggle will not pay to replace it.
How Much Does Toggle Cost?
Toggle offers three coverage levels that cost $5.00, $12.50, and $25.25 per month. Once you select the plan you want, you can further customize the coverage.
Here’s what each plan covers without customization:
Cost of Toggle Renters Insurance
|Furniture + Appliances||$0||$4,000||$6,000|
|Fashion + Jewelry||$0||$2,000||$3,000|
|Creative + Maker||$0||$1,000||$3,000|
|Loss of use||$0||$50 per day||$100 per day|
|Endorsements||None||Temporary living costs||Temporary living costs, replacement cost, identity protector|
On average, renters have roughly $30,000 worth of personal property, so the plan that comes closest to covering that amount is the Premium Plan. You may need to customize the plan to get the right amount of insurance coverage for your home.
Regardless of where you live, Toggle will give you the same base quote described above. If you want to customize one of these plans to fit your needs and see how that will affect the monthly cost, you can go to the Toggle website and input your name, address, and date of birth.
Customer Service and Claims Support
Toggle handles all of its customer service online. You can log into your account to manage your policy or file a claim yourself. You can also fill out an online form or click the chat button to talk to a customer service representative. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 9am–12am and Saturday, from 10am–9pm
Toggle may be a good option for someone who doesn’t have a lot of personal property and is looking for cheap renters insurance. While Toggle does allow you to customize your personal property coverage, you can only get coverage for up to $80,000, and once you surpass around $10,000 worth of protection, the policies become less and less affordable.
Before deciding which renters insurance company will best suit your home, get a quote from at least three providers to see how coverage and pricing compares.
If you’re not sure whether Toggle is right for you, compare it to other top-rated renters insurance companies below.
Compare Renters Insurance Companies
|Known for||Toggle Rewards||Flood and earthquake coverage||Easy enrollment|
|Monthly price||As low as $5||As low as $10||$11–$22|
|Customer service||Online||24/7 for claims; limited for sales and service||Monday through Friday, from 9am–6pm|
- Company Name: Toggle
- CEO: Stephanie Lloyd
- Years in Business: 1 year
- State Availability: 25 states
- Address: 6301 Owensmouth Avenue
- City/State: Woodland Hills, CA
- Zip Code: 91367
- A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating: N/A
Frequently Asked Questions About Toggle
Where is Toggle renters insurance available?
You can get Toggle renters insurance in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Can I add my landlord as an interested party on my Toggle renters insurance policy?
Yes. You can add or remove your landlord at any time by logging into your portal. Your landlord will receive a copy of your policy when you add them and will get a notification when you remove them.
Can I continue my Toggle policy if I move?
If you’re moving within the same state, you can update your address and keep the same policy. If you’re moving to a different state that Toggle is still available in, you can contact the company to end your old policy and start your new policy one. If you’re moving to a state that Toggle doesn’t cover, you’ll have to end your Toggle policy and look for a different renters insurance provider.
What is Toggle Rewards?
Each year you have a Toggle policy and remain claims-free, your deductible decreases until it reaches the lowest amount of $50.
Can I get other types of insurance through Toggle?
If you live in South Carolina, you have the option to purchase auto insurance along with renters insurance. The remaining 24 states only have access to renters insurance.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.