Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>Where to get parts for late-'80s wooden windows?
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where to get parts for late-'80s wooden windows?

The double-hung wood windows in our recently purchased late-'80s house are missing seals and some of the springs are broken. The local stores are no help, and no one around does window repair, just replacement.

I've tried searching for window parts on the internet, but everything I find is for really old windows.

Where can I buy springs and seals that I could use to repair these windows?


Re: Where to get parts for late-'80s wooden windows?

Do you know the make/manufacturer of the windows?

If not, try looking for a name on the sash locks, crank mechanisms (if there are any casement windows).....and/or in the corner of the glass in the window.

Here's a few sources to start with for aftermarket replacement parts if queries to the manufacturer don't pan out.




Re: Where to get parts for late-'80s wooden windows?

Thanks for the links. The windows were made by Addison, but as far as I can tell they are no longer in business.

I looked through the sites suggested, but I didn't see anything that looks like what I've got. The jambliners are made of vinyl-coated metal, and I can't see any fasteners holding them in place. There are covers over the springs, but I don't see any way to get them off either. It looks like the pieces that connect the springs to the bottom of the sashes are made of plastic, and some of them are broken so that the springs isn't stretched as the sash moves.

Any idea where I can find some info on how to safely take the windows apart? I don't want things flying around.


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.