6 posts / 0 new
Last post
What's on the Wall?

We recently decided to strip the wallpaper in the small office room of our pre-1900 era house. Upon starting to strip the wallpaper we realized that there was something odd under two of the walls in the room. Two of the walls had a large square (about window size) of some type of adhesive looking material that was on the plaster under the wallpaper (see pictures). One of these squares had a layer of an aluminum foil type material between the wall and the wallpaper. Upon removal of all of the wallpaper we noticed that both spots looked somewhat different but were similar shape and both ran brown streaks down the wall when wet (in this case with the DIF we used for the wallpaper removal). I cleaned both with a bleach solution and the general color of both squares did not change. The differences between the squares are that they are different shades of brown and one has sporadic spots of dark brown to black putty material throughout it. Can anyone tell what these are and/or how to possibly remove it? The color has us perplexed and I wanted to paint the walls and that clearly can't be done until this problem is solved.


Timothy Miller
Re: What's on the Wall?

A fly or more likelee a spider. LOL

Re: What's on the Wall?

The pics are too unclear to be usefull. Think the file size is too big!

Re: What's on the Wall?

Could be the ruminates of old murals.


Re: What's on the Wall?

When you converted the images to PDF, it compressed them too much so as to leave it looking like an impressionist painting seen through the bottom of a pint beer cup after several refills.

Since this forum doesn't allow attachments until you've made 10 posts, can you post the pictures to an 0nline hosting site, and provide us a link?

Re: What's on the Wall?

I'm dying to see clearer pictures...its like a murder mystery!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.