13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Blazer88
romex 12/3

I'm hard wiring a 4 Ft Fluorescent Light with a switch. I have some left over 12/3 romex, can you use 12/3 but not use the other hot wire(red) and still be within code?(NJ code) When I do work around my house I like to have everything to code.
Thank you

Sean

NEC
Re: romex 12/3

You are kidding! Right?

Blazer88

Busted!!! You got me, it was a joke!! This is what I do all day.LoL,LOL. Ass. It's a simple question about a code.

NEC

You're a funny guy. I'll grant you that. Maybe there is a code in (NJ) that says, "Thou shall not have any unused conductors in a cable assembly."

Who knows?........... Anyone familiar with (NJ) code? :eek::D:rolleyes:;)

A. Spruce

I don't know NJ code, but having an extra unused conductor in a box has never been an issue that I'm aware of. Just make sure that the unused wire is capped on each end and there should be no problems. If it is ever inspected and questioned, tell them you were planning on needing a second switch at that location.

NEC
A. Spruce wrote:

I don't know NJ code, but having an extra unused conductor in a box has never been an issue that I'm aware of. Just make sure that the unused wire is capped on each end and there should be no problems. If it is ever inspected and questioned, tell them you were planning on needing a second switch at that location.

Might not capacitive inductance result causing the unused wire to explode?

One wonders.

Blazer88

Spruce thanks for the appropriate response. As for you NEC “A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik. :rolleyes:

NEC
Blazer88 wrote:

Spruce thanks for the appropriate response. As for you NEC “A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik. :rolleyes:

Well, Okay............ Just hope and pray good luck to you should you decide to move ahead with your project of not using that red wire......... Answered with all the humidity of honesty. Or maybe all the honesty of humidity.

Should you decide to move ahead, I pray no inductive capacitance will happen. You may think about a (NJ) permit for your project.

Inductive capacitance does not give a whit about humidity........... Lawrence Welk played a heck of an accordian. not sure if it plays here or not.

NEC
Blazer88

“A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.”Lawrence G. Lovasik.

Blazer88

I will not waste any more time on this. Be well

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.