Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>Repair original 1950 triple pane storm windows?
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moor
Repair original 1950 triple pane storm windows?
Moor

My 1956 house came with hardwood windows in excellent shape and original exterior storm windows. The storms aren't broken and work fine but don't all seal very well (some have pulled away at the bottom from the wood frame which allows bugs easy access.)

The windows are huge (12 over 12 and 8 over 8 panes), so replacement storms will be custom $$. I'm also worried about finding the right fit with new storm windows since the original ones were clearly sold with the original windows.

Is there an easy way to seal the old storm windows? Should they be replaced? Or should I remove and reset them?

dj1
Re: Repair original 1950 triple pane storm windows?
dj1

A visual inspection of your windows is needed, to see their exact condition, before an assessment can be made and steps to repair the windows suggested.

Generally speaking, if your windows have glazing material that has cracked and fallen off, you could simply re-glaze. Glazing material is like putty and is applied with a putty knife and other small tools. If you don't know how, watch some demos on YouTube. It's a DIY project for the most part. Still hesitating? hire someone to do it.

Sombreuil_mongrel
Sombreuil_mongrel

The storms can be removed, and they may have originally been bedded in putty, or had caulk added subsequently, in any case everything should be brought down to bare surfaces, sand, prime and paint the window frames where the storms mount, clean off the metal storm frame, install them with new screws, possibly drill new screw holes if the original holes in the frame no longer hold firmly. Caulk the perimeter from inside (if your upper sashes move) with an appropriately-colored sealant (or clear).

My old storms (perhaps as much as 40 years old) had pile weatherstripping that fit in a track in each movable sash (the glass frames) This material had badly deteriorated, but by very carefully measuring the stuff I was able to procure a roll of new. This has made a nice difference in how well they keep the wind out.
Remember, always leave some weep holes along the bottom. I just leave mine completely caulk-free there; you don't want wind-driven water to pool there, it will get in the walls, or cause the sills to rot, and sill replacement is very labor-intensive.
Casey

keith3267
keith3267

I've heard of triple track storm windows but not triple pane storm windows.

Moor
Moor

This is very helpful advice, Casey. Thank you. will pull them off, repair, and reattach. Good to know someone has done this.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.