Home>Discussions>HEALTH & SAFETY>Mom freaking out-Refinished/sanded staircase with lead paint
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kari
Mom freaking out-Refinished/sanded staircase with lead paint

Hi all. I am a mom who is currently freaking out. We have a 4 and 1 1/2 year old and are currently renovating/fixing up a 1932 cape that we purchased. We do not currently live there but the kids have been there from time to time. Anyway, as I was painting the kids rooms I noticed the paint on the windowsills chipping heavily. I did an at Home lead test and it tested positive. We had a lead inspection company come in and test the entire house. All of our baseboard moldings, door jambs and doors, staircase, and window frame and sills tested positive. We are currently trying to figure out the best route for DIY abatement. While trying to figure this out I had a sickening feeling come over me. I realized that the staircase that we had professionally sanded was covered in lead paint!! The top of the staircase leads up to both kids rooms and their bathroom. This company obviously didn’t know there was lead present (neither did we at the time) and took no precautions. Now I am freaking out. Are there lead paint particles everywhere on my home now? In my kids rooms/bathrooms? We spent all of the money we saved on this house and now I’m sick to my stomach. I don’t want to put my kids in danger. Please help. 

HandyAndyInMtAiry
Re: Mom freaking out-Refinished/sanded staircase with lead paint

Kari,

As long as you don't eat the paint you are fine. You now need to have all the dust swept up. You can use any HEPA containment vacuum to do that task. You can paint over any old paint and you will be fine. It's not nuclear waste. Many of us grew up with lead paint every where. We are still alive. I find it better to use a paint stripper to remove old paint. It will contain all the old paint from becoming airborne.

Only you can answer this question: " Are there lead paint particles everywhere on my home now?". Clean the house, everything that you believe that may have dust on it. Sounds like the painting "professionals" were not all that professional. Anyone with over 2 days experience doing paint sanding would have tested the old paint first. Just use a hepa vacuum to pick up all the dust. Also, make sure that you vacuum out all the hvac ducts, or have them cleaned by a duct cleaning company. If you have a forced air furnace, the dust is now everywhere thru the house. Anytime you are working with sanding, or anything that can create dust, you need to turn the furnace/AC off, close up and protect the area you are working to keep the cleanup small.

Andrew

Handy Andy in Mt Airy NC

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.