Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Knob and tube wiring- do I need a pro?
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Knob and tube wiring- do I need a pro?

My husband and I bought a home in north central Ohio about 1 1/2 years ago, originally built in the 1890's with significant additions made around 1920. While the home passed all its inspections and even has a brand new breaker box in the basement, it seems as though nearly all the peripheral wiring in the home is still knob and tube. I have done basic replacements (light fixtures, light switches, etc) on modern wiring in the past, but put on the brakes when I saw that each one of the items I wanted to replace in our new home has old wiring right up to the fixture. Do I need a pro any time I want to replace something? I have some super ugly 1950's light fixtures that need to go, but I don't want to mess up when it comes to electrical! Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Re: Knob and tube wiring- do I need a pro?

If you do not feel comfortable doing it your self, I would suggest you have a electrician replace the K&T wiring and bring it up to code. Several problems exist with K&T. 1-insurance companies are refusing to cover homes with K&T wiring. 2-Offten the switches were on the common rather than the hot so you con still get shocked with the switch off. 3-You should never add insulation in a wall cavity that has K&T wiring. 4- Wiring that old may have deteriorating insulation.


Re: Knob and tube wiring- do I need a pro?

The kitchen is where most power is needed.  Start there and install 20a outlets.  Install individual outlets for Refrigerator and microwave.  Next area of concern would be outlets regulary used with portable heaters and window a/c units.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.