Home>Discussions>YARD & GARDEN>How long for the last cut B4 winter?
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
andybuildz
How long for the last cut B4 winter?

What length should the grass be cut as you put it to bed for the winter just before snow and frost.
I use my ride on mower to pick up my leaves in its leaf/grass catcher so at that point it will also be cutting my grass one last time.... around Thanksgiving + -
Usually I cut it about 1 1/2"-2" ish on the last cut...but was curious if there's a standard cut
In New York
Thanks
Be well
andy

goldhiller
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?

Don't know for sure, Andy. Kinda depends upon species/blend of grass, me thinks. And perhaps soil types.

Everybody here (NW Illinois) has bluegrass blends. I usually cut to 2" (taller if conditions are droughty). Try to cut when it reaches 3" - 3 1/2", but that doesn't always happen in reality. Sometimes it's 5" + before I can get to it. Have to mow 3/4 acre here and 2 1/2 acres+ over at the farm. Helps keep me busy and out of trouble. ;)

1 1/2" sounds awfully short. Might actually stress the grass.

Fall fertilizer is important around here....especially if the grass is showing signs of thinning a bit. A thick lawn is a healthy lawn, IME. People stop here from other parts of the country and always remark about how nice our lawns are. They love the rich color and the thickness of it. We very rarely have to water, either. Lucky, I guess. Then again, sometimes I can appreciate a bit of drought. Saves me gas and mowing time.

Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
goldhiller wrote:

Don't know for sure, Andy. Kinda depends upon species/blend of grass, me thinks. And perhaps soil types.

Everybody here (NW Illinois) has bluegrass blends. I usually cut to 2" (taller if conditions are droughty). Try to cut when it reaches 3" - 3 1/2", but that doesn't always happen in reality. Sometimes it's 5" + before I can get to it. Have to mow 3/4 acre here and 2 1/2 acres+ over at the farm. Helps keep me busy and out of trouble. ;)

1 1/2" sounds awfully short. Might actually stress the grass.

Fall fertilizer is important around here....especially if the grass is showing signs of thinning a bit. A thick lawn is a healthy lawn, IME. People stop here from other parts of the country and always remark about how nice our lawns are. They love the rich color and the thickness of it. We very rarely have to water, either. Lucky, I guess. Then again, sometimes I can appreciate a bit of drought. Saves me gas and mowing time.

Thanks Goldie
YEh, thought so. I scored a leaf/lawn catcher i use for leaves. WHAT A LIFESAVER!!!! I have about 1 1/2 acres to mow..ugh and tons of big old growth trees with a whole lotta leaves. The leaves look great when they're atteched to the branches...lol...but when they fall....grrrrrrrrr. Next year if this house ain't sold I'm climbin' them dang trees and gluin' the leaves to the branches:D
But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex...lol. Before I bought it it took me a sold week to get he leaves up. I was hating life!!!

So I just keep the blades set up about 2" to chop the leaves up and split em' into the bags...Keeps the lawn at around 2".
I just added some lime and fertalizer too. I think it needed lime real bad. Was getting brown near the tree line.
Geezzzz...in California its almost always brown.

goldhiller
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?

But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex..

Apparently.....something is wrong, dude. ;)
Either the tractor is way too nice or....... :D

Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
goldhiller wrote:

But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex..

Apparently.....something is wrong, dude. ;)
Either the tractor is way too nice or....... :D

Well...sex only lasts about a half hour and the tractor cut my work time by4 full days of back breaking work...leaving me refreshed for more sex:D

A. Spruce
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
andybuildz wrote:

Well...sex only lasts about a half hour and the tractor cut my work time by4 full days of back breaking work...leaving me refreshed for more sex:D

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I think I'd better leave it alone. :p;)

Your tractors name wouldn't happen to be Wilma, would it? :D (inside joke for the old crew)

Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
A. Spruce wrote:

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I think I'd better leave it alone. :p;)

Your tractors name wouldn't happen to be Wilma, would it? :D (inside joke for the old crew)

SNAPPER...lol

A. Spruce
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?

LOL :D That;s too much Andy! LOL:D

goldhiller
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?

Makes perfect sense to me. :D

If ya like machinery that saves time and backaches, you'd really like driving one of these.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/10.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/11.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/12.jpg

A. Spruce
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
goldhiller wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me. :D

If ya like machinery that saves time and backaches, you'd really like driving one of these.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/10.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/11.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/12.jpg

Maybe, but aren't those a little big for lawn duties? :D

canuk
Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?
A. Spruce wrote:

Maybe, but aren't those a little big for lawn duties? :D

Not for us hicks:D

Andy... that's a good one to ride LMBO:D

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.