3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fluorescent Diffuser search

We have a 1950's bathroom fluorescent light fixture/mirror medicine cabinet. The lights are on either side of the mirror and have yellowing, brittle diffusers. My son recently broke one of the diffusers. The lighting stores I have been to only offer the option of buying the entire medicine cabinet or the electrical light portion. I just want a new diffuser because the mirror is in excellent condition and the light fixture works fine. They are flat on the outsides and then curve inward until they meet the mirror. Any help finding dealers of old style light covers/diffusers or online resources would be great.

Re: Fluorescent Diffuser search

A lot of times you can open the fixture and see the manufactures name. Then google the name with the word lighting fixtures. It should give you info of the manufactures web site. Call and ask if they sell just the covers. You will Be supprised how many manufactures will sell you just parts.

Re: Fluorescent Diffuser search

Here in Baltimore we have a co-op store called the Loading Dock http://www.loadingdock.org/ who collect and sell surplus and reclaimed building supplies. I checked their site and found one similar listing in MN http://www.thereusecenter.com/
If this is not close to you perhaps they can refer you to some place closer. You may not find your exact item but you may get lucky and find something close that you can use... and many of these places are non-profit and dirt cheap.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.