Home>Discussions>YARD & GARDEN>algae in ceramic fountain
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
christianeb
algae in ceramic fountain

We have a small ceramic rock fountain with a little waterfall on our deck (about 3 feet by 3 feet). Our dog likes to drink in it sometimes and it is growing algae. I've tried putting chlorine in it, but it still grows, plus takes the finish off the rocks. Is there anything I can do to deter the dog from drinking and the algae from growing? I'm having to wash it out every five days or so. It has a pump so the water is constantly moving. Thank you!:)

A. Spruce
Re: algae in ceramic fountain

Pour a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide as necessary to control the algae growth. I've got a 125 gallon pond that I used to use chlorine in to keep clean. The chlorine didn't last long and while it would drop the algae to the bottom, it wouldn't remove it/kill it. When I started using peroxide, the pond would last longer between treatments and algae would be completely obliterated. The best part about using peroxide is that you're not using anything that is harmful to the environment or the the animals if they drink.

The best thing to do would be to drain and clean the fountain thoroughly, then refill and add the peroxide. The peroxide is more effective as a preventative than it is trying to recover a contaminated system, though it will work either way.

christianeb
Re: algae in ceramic fountain

Thank you! I did this about 4 days ago and it is still clear!! My question is, how often do I need to add the peroxide? It's hot here so with the dog drinking and with evaporation I'll have to add water every few days or so.

Re: algae in ceramic fountain

For a natural alternative, try a barley straw bag. It will keep the algae under control and won't harm the dog if it drinks the water.

A. Spruce
Re: algae in ceramic fountain
christianeb wrote:

Thank you! I did this about 4 days ago and it is still clear!! My question is, how often do I need to add the peroxide? It's hot here so with the dog drinking and with evaporation I'll have to add water every few days or so.

You'll just kinda have to figure that out as you go. I treat my pond about once every week to 10 days. Because you've got a lower volume, dogs drinking (and slobbering which add algae food ), and are adding more water all the time, you'll likely have to add peroxide more frequently. I would do two things, play with the amounts of peroxide and see just how long you can go between treatments. My guess is that you can probably get away with a tablespoon or two once a week.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.