Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>1937 home - paint or stain new garage doors
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
torcor
1937 home - paint or stain new garage doors

Our 79-year old garage doors (original to our house) are rotting and we are having new cedar built to replace them as they are an odd size.

QUESTION: Should we paint them blue to match our shutters, or should we stain them? Here's a few angles of the house courtesy of GoogleMaps: https://postimg.org/image/50n7v1vpn/

I can take some additional pics once I'm back home tonight. Any advice appreciated!

JLMCDANIEL
Re: 1937 home - paint or stain new garage doors

Personally I would go with stain. The dark blue makes them to much the focal point of the house.

Jack

A. Spruce

I agree that dark blue is too much of a focal point. I, personally, would go with the house body or trim color. I can't quite tell, but it looks like the gutters are a darker brown/beige than the house body color is, I would go with that.

ordjen

You are asking about the aesthetics. I personally like the blue, but to each his own. There is no right or wrong.

Stain could look nice too, perhaps like the fence shown to the right of the house. If you go the stain route, only use an OIL based stain and be prepared to re-stain or re-oil it frequently, as much as yearly. Exterior stains do not require a protective varnish, they are in effect coloring and oiling the door.

The water based stains form a surface film and a film build up over the years invites some peeling and requiring stripping the door. Not fun! They also become more opaque with additional coats. Oil stains remain more transparent.

You don't state were you live, but in cold climates the back side of the door is especially important, as condensation forms on the interior side and can aid in the rotting of the door. I have often seen manufacturer's stickers on the back of their doors stating that they would void their warranty if the interior was not primed and painted within a couple months after hanging! They would also void the warranty if urethane varnish were used on the inside. If you varnish the inside, use a quality natural spar varnish, such as McCloskey's Man O'War. Urethanes are very hard and brittle and will not flex with the panels of the door.

Should you stain the outside and paint the inside, make sure to stain the outside first. This lessens the chance that pigment from the paint get into the grain on the front side and prevent the stain from absorbing, making a smudge.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.