In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva shows how to safely cut open up a wall.
Steps for Removing a Load-Bearing Wall
- Install temporary 2x4 braces on either side of wall to support the ceiling above.
- Use reciprocating saw to cut through wall plaster.
- Carefully cut away wood lath to reveal bare wall studs.
- Use reciprocating saw to cut through wall directly above each wall stud.
- Remove the wall studs from the opening.
- Build header from two 2x8s sandwiched around filler strips.
- Nail filler blocks to jack stud, screw jack stud to king stud.
- Apply construction adhesive to back of plaster, and along header opening.
- Install header into the opening.
- Use hammer to tap new jack studs into place.
- Nail jack studs to king studs on each side of the new opening.
- Remove the temporary braces from each side of opening.