In This Review: Our Take on Montway Auto Transport: Best Shipping Company | Montway Auto Transport Pros and Cons | Montway Auto Transport Cost | Montway Auto Transport Services | Montway Auto Transport Process | Montway Auto Transport Reviews | Our Conclusion | Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping | Additional Things to Consider When You Move | FAQs
Moving to a new home requires a lot of preparation, whether it’s your first move or one of many. You’ll still need to do research to ensure you’re making the right decisions, including choosing one of the best moving companies. Transporting your vehicle is another important step you’ll take when relocating to a new home. That’s why the This Old House Reviews Team has researched the best car shipping companies. Based on that data, we’ve named Montway our top choice for vehicle shipping.
Montway Auto Transport is an auto shipping broker that works with more than 15,000 carriers to ship cars across the United States. In this article, we’ll take a close look at Montway Auto Transport reviews, costs, services, and more. We recommend getting quotes from car transport companies to make sure you’re getting the best price and keeping your move within your budget.
Our Take on Montway Auto Transport: Best Shipping Company
Montway Auto Transport is a leader in the car shipping industry. Headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois, this auto shipping broker has over 16 years of experience and works with more than 15,000 verified car carriers. According to its website, the company has moved close to 750,000 vehicles around the country since 2006.
Montway Auto Transport has accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and customers find it to be a reliable company. Reviews on the BBB’s website are largely positive, with consumers giving the company an average star rating of 4.6 out of 5.0.
Given Montway’s range of services and reputation for offering affordable prices, we named the provider Best Shipping Company. If you need to ship your car to your new home, this could be a great option for you.
Montway Auto Transport Pros and Cons
In our Montway Auto Transport review, we found the following pros and cons of working with the company:
✔ Positive reputation with customers
✔ Competitive prices
✔ Works with more than 15,000 verified carriers
✘ No guaranteed pricing
✘ Doesn’t offer GPS tracking
✘ No terminal-to-terminal shipping option
Montway Auto Transport Cost
Cost is one of the most important aspects of your move. Relocating can be expensive, which is why it’s important to look into cheap moving companies as well as find cheap car shipping options. Understanding the typical costs of each type of service also comes in handy when comparing providers.
According to its website, Montway Auto Transport estimates that shipping a car has the following costs, with the price per mile going down as mileage increases:
- Around $1.96 per mile for distances up to 500 miles
- Around 93 cents per mile for distances between 500 and 1,500 miles
- Around 58 cents per mile for distances over 1,500 miles
To get an idea of what shipping your vehicle with Montway might cost, the This Old House Reviews Team reached out to the shipping broker for a few quotes. The quotes below are for an operable 2018 Honda CR-V:
Our car shipping cost research shows that Montway Auto Transport is one of the most affordable options for auto transport.
What Affects Car Shipping Costs?
Knowing what affects the pricing of your auto transport could help you keep costs down and stay within your moving budget. While Montway offers low rates on average, several factors can impact your shipping price, including:
- Vehicle operability: Cars that don’t run require more labor to load onto carriers.
- Vehicle size and weight: Larger and heavier vehicles, such as trucks and SUVs, cost more to ship.
- Shipping distance: Shorter-distance transports cost more per mile, but longer-distance shipments cost more overall.
- Type of transport: Shipping via enclosed trailer is more expensive than shipping via open carrier.
- Season: Demand for car shipping services increases during the summer and January, leading to higher shipping costs.
- Fuel costs: Auto transport costs fluctuate with the prices of gasoline and diesel.
Montway Auto Transport Services
Montway Auto Transport ships vehicles to any destination in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii, which is helpful to know in your move. It’s important to know what services a shipping company offers before you choose it for your move.
The shipping company offers both open and enclosed car transport. Open transport is more affordable, but it leaves your vehicle exposed to road debris and the elements. While enclosed shipping costs significantly more, it can offer additional protection and peace of mind during transport.
One of the most popular services Montway offers is its live chat tracking. Through the company’s website, you can contact a representative anytime between 6 a.m. and midnight CST to track the location of your car on its way to your new home.
Though the shipping broker transports passenger cars and motorcycles, it doesn’t offer shipping services for alternative vehicles such as RVs. Also, Montway only offers door-to-door pickup and delivery, so the company may not be the right choice if you’re looking to save money by shipping your car between terminals.
Montway offers expedited shipping with guaranteed pickup dates for an additional fee
Montway Auto Transport Process
Knowing how the car shipping process works can help you plan your move more effectively. Montway’s shipping process can be broken down into three easy steps.
- Get a quote and book your order: Use the tool on Montway’s website to get an instant quote with information including your pickup date window, your pickup and drop-off locations, and the type of vehicle. Then, talk to an agent to schedule your service.
- Montway picks your vehicle up: When the trucker arrives on your pickup date, you’ll both inspect your car and sign a bill of lading. The driver will load your car onto the truck and take it to the destination.
- Receive your vehicle: Your carrier will call you when they’re near your delivery location. You’ll both inspect the vehicle again once it’s delivered, noting any damage that may have occurred during transport. You’ll then sign the bill of lading.
Montway Auto Transport Reviews
Montway Auto Transport reviews are quite strong. The company not only holds an A+ rating from the BBB but also has an average rating of 4.6 stars out of 5.0 from over 2,200 customers on the site. Trustpilot reviews tell a similar story, with Montway receiving a 4.6-star average rating from over 1,100 customer reviews.
Customers who rate Montway positively mention the company’s reliable communication and efficient shipping experience. While most Montway Auto Transport reviews are positive, even the best companies may have negative reviews. Customers who leave negative reviews for Montway tend to focus on hidden fees and sudden price increases.
“There was very good communication from Montway LLC. The driver let me know slow traffic would make the pickup a little later and I was able to get the auto dealer to make keys available for the driver. The delivery was within the estimated time and the driver was very pleasant.”
– Thomas B. via Trustpilot
“Montway moved my car from Seattle to Houston by Christmas on extremely short notice. The whole process was fast, efficient, and hassle-free. I will definitely use Montway again!”
– Marge C. via BBB
“I confirmed the quoted price with an agent during the chat. And suddenly the price went up by $300 when they asked me to confirm. No explanation, they just said that the price is wrong.”
– Zhiqian L. via Trustpilot
“They quote you a price and give you the impression that it is a firm price. They also tell you they will deliver your car in the next two days. It took 10 days for them to deliver my car and they asked for a 50% premium to the agreed price.”
– LK K. via Google
There’s a lot to like about Montway Auto Transport. First, it’s a great option for cheap car shipping. According to our research, its shipping prices are some of the lowest in the industry. Plus, Montway’s network of over 15,000 verified carriers allows for a good deal of scheduling flexibility, which can be essential in a move.
The carrier provides $100,000 of cargo insurance on all shipments, and Montway provides an additional $250,000 of contingent cargo insurance. This means no matter what happens during your transport, any damage to your vehicle should be covered.
However, if you’re looking for terminal-to-terminal shipping, you’ll need to consider another shipping company. You may also want to choose a different provider if you want to send your car overseas, as Montway would only ship a vehicle to or from a U.S. port rather than handling the entire shipping process.
Other Recommendations for Auto Shipping
We recommend getting car shipping quotes online from a few of the leading auto transport companies, especially if it’s your first time shipping a vehicle. To get the best price, consider top-rated transport providers like Easy Auto Ship and Sherpa Auto Transport.
Easy Auto Ship: Best for Added Benefits
Easy Auto Ship prides itself on going the extra mile. The company offers transport services to international destinations and all 50 states, as well as perks such as reimbursement for a car wash. Easy Auto Ship holds an A+ rating from the BBB and has a 4.6-star average customer rating on the BBB’s website.
Discover more about the transport broker in our complete Easy Auto Ship review.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Rates
Sherpa Auto Transport’s Price Lock Promise means the price you’re quoted is the price you’ll pay—an uncommon feature in the auto transport industry. The car shipper offers a wide array of transport services to the Lower 48 states, including options for exotic and classic cars.
Sherpa has a great industry reputation, holding an A+ rating from the BBB. Customers also hold the shipping broker in high regard, giving Sherpa a near-perfect score of 4.9 stars out of 5.0 on the BBB’s website.
Learn about the company’s locked-in pricing in our complete Sherpa Auto Transport review.
Additional Things to Consider When You Move
Planning a move can be difficult. On top of deciding whether to ship your vehicle to your destination or drive it there yourself, there’s so much else to consider. Whether your new home is one town over or you’re making a long-distance move, you’ll need to take every factor into account and plan accordingly.
Our reviews team created a guide to moving to help you understand the process and feel ready. Here are some of the things you may need to take into account when you’re moving:
- Creating a budget
- Planning your timeline
- Deciding between using a moving company or doing it yourself
- Renting or buying moving supplies
- Donating or selling items you’re not taking with you
- Packing your home
- Taking time off work
- Asking family and friends for help packing and moving
- Preparing your children and pets for the move
- Researching your new city
- Changing your address and doing other administrative tasks
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for auto shipping service providers is based on four categories:
- Price (30% of total score): Many factors affect car transport rates. To determine our price score, we secret shop with providers across a variety of cars and routes.
- Services (25% of total score): Our team of experts looks at available services, guaranteed pickup and drop-off dates, and insurance coverage.
- Industry Standing (20% of total score): Providers with a high rating from the BBB score best in this category. Reputable providers with a history of reliable service and timeliness also receive strong marks.
- Customer Experience (25% of total score): We learn about consumer experiences by reading through reviews on sites including the BBB. Auto shipping companies with a low volume of complaints score highest in this area.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.