Long-distance moving companies carry unique qualifications that make them adept at handling longer moves. Our team researched and reviewed the best moving companies by vetting their services, reviews, and overall quality. From that list, we’ve ranked the best long-distance moving companies to help you choose the best option.
9 Best Long-Distance Moving Companies
Most companies you’ll encounter have different definitions for long-distance moves. There is no set mileage requirement, but moves that exceed 100 miles or take multiple days to complete often fall into this category. Here are our best long-distance moving companies for a range of relocation needs:
- International Van Lines: Best Overall Full-Service Mover
- American Van Lines: Most Experienced Moving Labor
- Interstate Moving & Relocation Group: Most Efficient
- Safeway Moving Inc.: Most Customer-Oriented
- Moving APT: Best Customer Service
- JK Moving Services: Most Customizable Full-Service Mover
- Allied Van Lines: Best for Vehicle Relocation
- North American Van Lines: Best for Claims
- United Van Lines: Best for Moving Tech Items
Compare the Best Long-Distance Movers
To rate the top long-distance movers, we used a comprehensive methodology that factors in services, reputation, online resources, and more. Here’s how each company compares:
|Star Rating||BBB Rating||Estimate Info||Link|
|International Van Lines||B||$2,500–$4,300||VISIT SITE|
|American Van Lines||B-||$3,200–$3,500||VISIT SITE|
|Interstate Moving & Relocation Group||B||$2,800–$4,000||VISIT SITE|
|Safeway Moving Inc.||A+||$6,300–$7,500||VISIT SITE|
|Moving APT||B||$2,968–$5,668||VISIT SITE|
|JK Moving Services||A+||$7,550||VISIT SITE|
|Allied Van Lines||A+||$4,730–$5,380||VISIT SITE|
|North American Van Lines||A+||$4,700–$5,350||VISIT SITE|
|United Van Lines||A+||$5,169–$7,003||VISIT SITE|
|International Van Lines|
|American Van Lines|
|Interstate Moving & Relocation Group|
|Safeway Moving Inc.|
|JK Moving Services|
|Allied Van Lines|
|North American Van Lines|
|United Van Lines|
*Note: Estimate info above is for a two-bedroom move from Chicago, Illinois, to Atlanta, Georgia.
**Note: BBB ratings are accurate as of June 2023.
Best Long-Distance Moving Companies in Detail
From pros and cons to customer reviews, we outline all the details of the best long-distance moving companies below.
What Impacts Long-Distance Moving Costs?
Long-distance moves are more costly than local moves. Based on our in-depth quote process, we determined that a 700-mile, two-bedroom move costs anywhere from $2,015–$7,500. We found move distance and size to be the two primary cost factors for each company that gave us a quote.
Service requirements, such as packing and crating, and your move date will also affect your price. If you’re moving on a tighter budget, check out our guide to moving costs. If your move involves high-value items or antiques, read our guide to moving insurance to explore your options.
How To Choose the Best Long-Distance Moving Company for You
We’ve listed key criteria to consider when vetting a moving company.
- Moving services: Most movers display moving services offered on their websites. Examine your needed services, which may include packing, crating, and vehicle shipping. During the selection process, get quotes from movers who provide the services you need.
- Licensing: Moving companies must maintain federal licensing. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulates interstate and long-distance moving companies in all 50 states. You can use a mover’s motor carrier (MC) number and United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number to look up its licensing status via this FMCSA link. Most moving companies must comply with state regulations. The Texas and Ohio regulatory sites, for example, share regulations and consumer resources. Most states have their own regulatory bodies.
- Reviews and reputation: Check out a moving company’s previous reviews and service awards before booking a move. Look into positive and negative reviews for each mover you consider. Google Reviews, Yelp, Trustpilot, and Better Business Bureau are all excellent sources.
- Pricing: Look at reviews to get a sense of a mover’s pricing practices beyond its stated policies. Additionally, assess reviews to determine how well a provider follows through on its pricing policies and estimates. Once you’ve booked a mover, we recommend keeping copies of your move estimate and contract for your records.
How To Prepare for a Long-Distance Move
It can be a challenge to keep everything in order leading up to moving day. Below is a quick checklist to help you get started and prepare for some of the major steps in the moving process.
- Choose between a DIY or full-service move: First, you’ll want to decide whether to hire professionals or take a do-it-yourself approach. If you’re able to pay the higher cost of full-service movers and need all of the help you can get, a full-service moving company may be the right option for you. However, if you prefer doing things yourself and have a tight budget, then self-service may be a better option.
- Get rid of unwanted items: Planning a long-distance move gives you the perfect opportunity to get rid of items you no longer need. Since the weight of your belongings impacts the cost of your move, you should try decluttering before contacting a moving company for an estimate.
- Hire a moving company: Do some research on moving companies near you and read customer reviews to help vet the company. It’s best to start the process of hiring a mover about three months before your anticipated move date. Some movers will give discounts for early reservations, so the sooner you can get started on this process, the better.
- Create a detailed inventory: While you create an inventory of your belongings, make note of the condition of your items and take pictures of them. These photos and notes will come in handy if you have to file a damage claim for reimbursement.
- Start packing: If you’re not paying for packing services, you’ll want to start the process of packing as soon as possible. Read about packing tips beforehand to get ideas for streamlining the process and use your inventory list to determine the boxes you’ll need. To make the unpacking process easier, label your boxes and consider using specialty boxes, such as wardrobe boxes.
- Inform key entities of your move: Be sure to inform insurance companies, tax agencies, utility companies, the post office, the Social Security Administration, and your internet service provider about your move. By notifying these parties of your upcoming move, you can avoid potential issues and help ensure a smooth transition to your new home.
In many ways, a long-distance move entails more risk than relocating locally. There are more miles to cover and more room for issues to arise. However, several companies come out ahead of the competition in terms of the quality of their service.
We found International Van Lines to be a reputable provider, conducting full-service moves nationwide and offering a broader range of contents coverage plans than is customary. American Van Lines stands out for its moving teams that average 10 years or more of moving industry experience. Interstate Moving & Relocation Group is another top pick, using vetted carriers for its services and providing helpful online resources.
We recommend that you get quotes from three or more providers to compare prices and details about each company’s services.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
FAQ About Long-Distance Moving
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team backs up our moving company ratings and recommendations with a detailed rating methodology to objectively score each company. We conduct research by reading through the company websites, analyzing customer reviews, conducting consumer surveys, requesting quotes, and speaking with customer representatives. We then score each moving company against our review standards for services, contents coverage, scheduling, trailer and container options, additional benefits, and reputation to arrive at a final score out of 100.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.