Cagwin & Dorward Landscape is a landscaping company based in Petaluma, California, with field offices located throughout the state. Though the company primarily offers its landscape and construction services to commercial and municipal partners, Cagwin & Dorward website also serves local residential customers.
The This Old House Reviews Team did a deep dive into Cagwin & Dorward to provide a snapshot of what you can expect from the company.
Pros and Cons of Cagwin & Dorward
✔ Offers eco-friendly services
✔ Has a team of certified arborists
✔ Provides emergency tree service
✘ Only available in California
✘ Minimal website information on pricing
Though Cagwin & Dorward is ideal for landscaping and tree maintenance, TruGreen is our top recommendation for your lawn care needs. TruGreen offers five annual lawn programs and a variety of a la carte services, and is a leader in the lawn care industry.
Cagwin & Dorward Plans and Services
Here are the company’s four areas of expertise available to residents in the range of its satellite offices.
1. Landscape Maintenance Services
Cagwin & Dorward emphasizes that each of its landscape maintenance plans is distinctly customized to each client. Services range from general upkeep on grounds and plants to complete landscape redesign. Features like pest control, irrigation system management, and seasonal flower bed design are also included in this category.
The comprehensive list of Cagwin & Dorward services includes:
- Turf care
- Shrub care
- Landscape design
- Seasonal gardening
- Pest control
2. Construction Services
When it comes to landscape design and construction projects, Cagwin & Dorward manages estate, commercial, and public projects throughout Northern California. If you qualify for Cagwin & Dorward construction service, the company offers full-scale design and construction programs for:
- Irrigation systems
- Erosion control
The company outlines a signature design-to-build process that relies on client collaboration to find the right design and budget. The concept and design process includes colored plans, professional presentations, and digital imagery. The company’s master plan program touches on the budget, plant palette, return on investment, sustainability, fertigation, and balance of turf areas.
3. Tree Care Services
Cagwin & Dorward has ISA-certified arborists that manage tree pruning, removal, and disease treatment on residential, municipal, and commercial properties. The company also offers free estimates for tree care on your property and aims to work within each client’s vision to find the safest, healthiest, and most attractive solution for each tree.
Tree care services include:
- Tree surgery
- Stump grinding
- Deep root fertilization
- Disease control
- Pest control
- Arborist consultation
- Mycorrhizae treatments
4. Water Management Services
Twenty-five certified water managers at Cagwin & Dorward work with Northern California residents and businesses to cut down overall water use throughout their property’s irrigation system. Workers will install new systems and suggest upgrades to help clients remain below the state requirements while cutting water-use costs.
Water and irrigation services include:
- Design and installation
- Irrigation system overall evaluation
- Water budget analysis
- Emergency service
- Smart irrigation technology
- Maintenance and repair
Cagwin & Dorward Locations
The Cagwin & Dorward headquarters is located in Petaluma, California, just north of San Francisco. The company also has several satellite offices throughout the region, such as in Martinez, Pacifica, Fairfield, Livermore, Rohnert Park, Roseville, Sacramento, Salinas, San Jose, and Union City.
Cagwin & Dorward Reviews
Cagwin & Dorward Landscape has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau, but they’re not accredited. Here’s a review from one BBB customer:
“I had a great experience with these folks. One of their landscape crews covered the front of my vehicle in debris. I contacted the office and was handled very politely. They offered to pay for a car [that] was at a $35 value. I ended up adding additional services to the wash and sent them the receipt. To my surprise, within 3 days I had a check for the full amount. Good business isn’t always about the first contact. Much of the time it’s about how you respond to adversity. They did a great job.” — Barry
Cagwin & Dorward vs. Competitors
Compare how Cagwin & Dorward stacks up against other lawn care companies.
Top-Rated Lawn Care Alternatives
|Company Breakdowns||Cagwin & Dorward||TruGreen||Weed Man|
|Our Overall Score||24.5 / 100||97 / 100||84 / 100|
|Lawn Care Programs||N/A||5 + a la carte services||1 + a la carte services|
|States Available||1 state||49 states||37 states|
|2018 Revenue*||$48 million||$1.37 billion||$171.8 million|
|Number of Employees*||550||13,504||N/A|
*Lawn & Landscape, Top 100 Issue, 2019
We rated Cagwin & Dorward a 24.5 out of 100. The company offers extensive landscaping, water management, and tree services and provides unique services like pest control and irrigation management, but it doesn’t offer general lawn care services and is only available in the state of California.
If you’re looking for a tree care and landscape construction company in California, Cagwin & Dorward may be a good option. A stronger lawn care option for nationwide residents is TruGreen, a leading lawn care industry leader.
TruGreen offers transparent, tiered landscaping programs that make it easy to choose which plan fits your budget and specialize in services like tree care, pest control, weed management, and overall lawn health.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Company name: Cagwin & Dorward Landscape
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Steve Glennon
- Year founded: 1955
- Headquarters: PO Box 6004 Petaluma, CA 94955-6004
- State availability: 1
- BBB rating: A+
Our Rating Methodology
To provide readers with the most objective, accurate, and detailed recommendations, the This Old House Reviews Team continually researches lawn care service companies on the market. We take the following steps to obtain up-to-date information about the industry and each company we review:
- Analyze more than 100 customer reviews from third-party review sites, such as Yelp, the Better Business Bureau (BBB), and Google Reviews, for each company
- Secret-shop for lawn care plans and packages to get a sense of cost, offered services, and the overall shopping experience for prospective customers
- Speak with representatives on the phone to simulate the customer service experience from each provider
- Update information on a regular basis to ensure the most accurate information when plans or services change with each company
We use the data from our research to build an in-depth rating system that allows us to score lawn care providers on a 100-point scale. Here are the factors in our evaluation and their designated scores:
- Plan options (30): As one of the most important factors for homeowners shopping for a lawn care service, this one is weighted heavily based on each company’s lawn coverage. Companies that offer more options, such as irrigation, weed control, seeding, and aeration services in addition to a general plan, score higher than others.
- Trustworthiness (30): Each company’s reputation is another significant factor for homeowners to consider before signing up for a plan. We scored providers based on their BBB score, accreditation, and offered guarantees available with each purchase.
- Additional Benefits (20): We gave extra points to companies that provide a few additional services and benefits with their offered plans, such as organic treatments, pest control services, and a mobile app for digital communication and plan management.
- Customer Service (10): In this rating category, we awarded points to customer-focused lawn care service providers who offer weekend availability and easy communication through phones, online chats, and online resources.
- Availability (10): We also scored companies based on their overall availability, rewarding those that are nationally available over local companies only operating in select cities or ZIP codes.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.