How to Wash Windows Like a Pro
Quick tips for getting a streak-free shine with window-cleaning expert Garry Jalowka
In this video, window-cleaning expert Garry Jalowka shares some quick tips for getting a streak-free shine.
1. Fill bucket with clean water and add a small amount of liquid dishwashing detergent.
2. Wipe down the exterior window frame using a wet terrycloth rag.
3. Dip a window scrubber into the water bucket and then wring out the excess water.
4. Clean the glass with the scrubber to remove all dust and dirt.
5. Wipe the window glass dry with a rubber squeegee. Hold the edge of the squeegee at approximately 30 degrees to the glass, then make a horizontal pass across the window.
6. Use a terrycloth rag to wipe the squeegee dry after every pass.
7. If you'd prefer to wipe down vertically, start by using a dry cloth or end of the squeegee to create a dry edge along the top of the window glass.
8. Next, place the squeegee on the dry edge and pull straight down, cleaning the glass.
9. Use a micro-fiber towel to wipe down the glass one last time.
10. To clean windows with divided lites (panes), use the scrubber to first wash the glass, and then squeegee the glass clean. Only this time, hold a terrycloth rag against the bottom end of the squeegee to catch water and protect the wood muntins.
11. When cleaning windows from inside the house, drape a canvas drop cloth on the floor to catch any water.
12. Pour cleaning solution (water mixed with liquid dishwashing detergent) into a plastic spray bottle, then spray the interior surfaces of the window.
13. Immediately after spraying, clean the glass with a terrycloth rag, followed by a quick wipe down with the micro-fiber towel.