How to Install a Wall Mounted Space Heater
Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron warms up a chilly bathroom by installing an electric convection heater
- Determine a source of constant power nearby to the desired installation location of the heater.
- Before doing any electrical work, ensure power is turned off at the breaker panel for the active circuits and confirm it’s off with a tester.
- If using an existing outlet as a power source, remove the cover plate with a screwdriver, then remove the outlet from the box. It may also be necessary to remove the box from the wall.
- Run 14/2 wiring from the existing outlet to the location of the new heater. It may be necessary to drill through wall studs or other structure.
- Remove the sheathing on the new wire at the existing outlet, then feed that wire through the electrical box.
- Strip the conductors on the new wire and either connect them to an available screw on the outlet or splice to existing conductors using wire nuts.
- Resecure the electrical box in the wall, replace the outlet, and install the cover plate.
- Strip the other end of the new wire and splice the conductors from the power supply to the appropriate wires in the heater.
- Install the supplied mounting brackets to the wall, then click the heater onto those brackets.
- Restore power to the circuit and turn on the heater.