A Washington pet insurance policy can provide a buffer against high vet bills after unexpected illnesses or emergencies, ensuring that your pet gets the excellent care it deserves.
After in-depth research, the This Old House Reviews Team has crafted a list of the top pet insurance providers in The Evergreen State. Discover top providers’ benefits, drawbacks, pricing, and plans below.
Lemonade Pet Insurance
Lemonade is our top overall choice for pet insurance in Washington thanks to its low plan prices, customizable coverage range, and short waiting periods.
- Our score: 96 out of 100
- Has a 48-hour waiting period for accident coverage, the shortest of any provider on this list
- Its AI-powered claims process can reimburse many claims within seconds
- Its mobile app makes it easy to manage your policy and submit claims through a smartphone
Note: Lemonade has a low rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), though most of its complaints come from customers dissatisfied with their experience through Lemonade’s homeowners insurance or the company’s renters insurance.
Lemonade Pros and Cons
✔ Preventative care add-on includes a special option for puppies and kittens, which will need more routine care than older pets
✔ Offers a 10% discount for bundling with their other services, as well as an annual payment discount
✔ Pricing is consistently lower than competitor quotes across diverse ages and breeds
✘ Doesn’t provide a coverage option for behavioral treatments
✘ Pet parents must provide a recent exam from within the last 12 months to enroll their pet in coverage
Lemonade Plans and Coverage
Lemonade offers one standard accident and illness plan as well as three add-on coverage items. The company’s baseline accident and illness plan covers costs such as:
- Diagnostics, including CT scans, labwork, MRIs, urinalysis, blood tests, and ultrasounds
- Procedures such as emergency and specialty care, hospitalization, surgery, and outpatient care
- Medications (both injections and prescriptions)
Add-on coverage options include:
- Physical therapy, including acupuncture and chiropractic care
- Vet visit fees during eligible accidents and illnesses
- Two price points for preventative care to help with expenses for wellness exams, dental cleanings, vaccines, and more
Lemonade does not cover pre-existing conditions, spaying and neutering for pets older than 2, and dental illness.
Lemonade Pet Insurance Cost
Based on quotes we received in our research, Lemonade’s premiums for Seattle pets run between $42 and $78 per month for dogs and between $19 and $20 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Lemonade
Learn More: Lemonade Pet Insurance Review
Spot Pet Insurance
Spot offers Washingtonians a wide variety of customizable options to tailor their deductible, plan type, coverage limit, and reimbursement percentages to their needs.
- Our score: 91 out of 100
- Offers 24/7 telehealth services for round-the-clock care through chat, phone, video, or messenger
- Customers can choose between accident-only and accident and illness plans, while some providers offer only one type of plan
- Its accident and illness plan covers additional treatment measures, such as dietary supplements, which are excluded by many competitors
Spot Pros and Cons
✔ Includes microchip implantation, which usually incurs an extra cost or is not offered at all by other providers
✔ Offers a larger number of options and more customization than any other provider on this list: seven coverage caps, five deductibles, and three reimbursement rates
✔ Two tiers of preventative care coverage available to mitigate routine expenses
✘ No customer service availability by phone during the weekends or after 8 EST
✘ Choosing the unlimited coverage option increases prices substantially
Spot Plans and Coverage
Spot offers two plans: accident-only and accident and illness. Accident-only protects pet parents against costs from accidents, injury, hospitalization, surgery, diagnostics and imaging like MRIs and ultrasounds, physical therapy, and medication.
The accident and illness plan adds on to these benefits with more coverage for items such as:
- Accidental toxic ingestions or swallowed objects
- Dental illnesses like periodontitis and gingivitis
- Treatments for behavioral issues like tail chasing and excessive licking
- Hereditary and congenital conditions such as heart disease or hip dysplasia
- Other illnesses such as diabetes, respiratory infections, and cancer
The two levels of preventive care, Gold and Platinum, offer coverage for dental cleanings, common vaccines like rabies and canine Lyme, fecal tests, and deworming. Platinum also adds benefits like urinalysis, blood tests, health certificates, and more.
Spot plans exclude non-FDA-approved treatments or supplements, day care, boarding, and pre-existing conditions.
Spot Pet Insurance Cost
In Washington, Spot pet insurance costs between $35 and $59 per month for dogs and between $10 and $29 per month for cats, according to the quotes we received.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Spot
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace is our choice for the most flexible deductibles in Washington and also provides a diminishing deductible benefit for healthy pets.
- Our score: 93.5 out of 100
- Has 18 years of experience in the pet insurance industry, which is a decade more than most competitors on this list
- Its plans cover preventable conditions, including parvo, Lyme disease, and parasites, unlike many other providers
- Its unique Healthy Pet Deductible discount lowers your deductible by $50 each year you go without filing a claim
Note: Embrace has limited customer service hours by phone and higher premiums for wellness coverage than competitors.
Embrace Pros and Cons
✔ Pet owners who do not have a recent exam for their animal can opt for a free medical history review after enrolling
✔ Offers five flexible deductible options: $200, $300, $500, $750, and $1,000
✔ Policy documents are downloadable straight through Embrace’s mobile app
✘ Pricing for wellness plans is higher than competitor rates
✘ The highest coverage cap available is $30,000, which may not suit breeds prone to expensive illnesses as they age
Embrace Plans and Coverage
The accident and illness plan that Embrace offers covers costs such as:
- Congenital and chronic conditions, such as allergies or heart defects
- Exam fees
- Genetic conditions, including hip dysplasia
- Dental trauma
- Prescribed therapies, such as medication or hydrotherapy
- Hospitalization and surgery
- Diagnostics, such as CT scans, MRIs, X-rays, and ultrasounds
Embrace does not cover pre-existing conditions unless they are curable and your pet has not presented symptoms for the previous 12 months.
Embrace Pet Insurance Cost
On average, pet insurance through Embrace in Washington falls between $38 and $98 per month for dogs and between $23 and $39 per month for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Embrace
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance is our top choice for new pet owners due to its countless useful resources, including a local vet finder tool, pet care articles, and an insurance provider comparison table.
- Our score: 89 out of 100
- Offers both an accident-and-illness and an accident-only plan
- Has over 16 years of experience in the pet insurance industry
- Doesn’t have an age cap for insurance eligibility
ASPCA Pros and Cons
✔ Includes microchipping, behavior disorders, and stem cell therapy in its standard plan
✔ Offers flexible coverage options, including five coverage limits, three reimbursement rates, and three deductible options
✔ Provides a 30-day money-back guarantee
✘ Could take up to 30-days for claims to be processed
✘ No vet chat or customer service on the weekends
ASPCA Plans and Coverage
ASPCA customers can choose between an accident-only and an accident-and-illness plan (called Complete Coverage). The accident-only plan covers veterinary expenses for unexpected injuries, such as broken bones, toxic ingestions, bite wounds, and swallowed objects. The Complete Coverage plan covers unexpected injuries as well as illnesses and conditions, including diabetes, infections, heart disease, cancer, hereditary conditions, digestive problems, and behavioral issues.
ASPCA offers two optional preventive care packages at a basic and premium level. Each option reimburses pet parents up to a certain annual limit and covers common, routine vet visits for dental cleanings, rabies vaccinations, flea and heartworm prevention, a wellness exam, and more.
ASPCA Pet Insurance Cost
ASPCA pet insurance costs $24–$84 per month for dogs and $12–$47 per month for cats, according to our sample quotes based on 4-year-old dogs and cats in Washington.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with ASPCA
Learn More: ASPCA Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance
For pet parents looking for well-rounded holistic coverage and generous treatment for alternative therapies, Fetch is one of our top choices in Washington.
- Our score: 91.5 out of 100
- Includes coverage for cutting-edge treatments such as stem cell therapy and homeopathy
- Provides more comprehensive dental coverage than competitors, including coverage for dental illnesses and injuries
- Offers a 10% discount for people who adopted pets from rescues or shelters and a 10% discount for medical services animals
Fetch Pros and Cons
✔ Covers up to $1,000 for telehealth veterinary services
✔ Has a live customer chat on its website for easy customer service access
✔ Offers an option for unlimited coverage to prevent out-of-pocket costs for pet owners
✘ Large or older dogs can often be quoted higher premium prices than with other providers
✘ Requires a recent exam from within the last six months to enroll your pet in coverage
Fetch Plans and Coverage
Fetch’s accident and illness coverage extends to the following items:
- Homeopathy, stem cell therapy, acupuncture, and other alternative therapies
- Sick visit fees
- Surgery and physical rehabilitation
- Prescription medications
- Cancer treatments, including specialist care
- Accidental injuries and illnesses
Fetch doesn’t provide wellness or routine care coverage add-ons. It also doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic and elective procedures such as ear cropping and tail docking, or routine and wellness care costs for items like checkups and vaccinations.
Fetch Pet Insurance Cost
For Fetch pet health insurance plans in Washington, monthly premiums range between $52 and $175 for dogs and between $18 and $21 for cats.
Get Quote: Compare Rates with Fetch
Learn More: Fetch Pet Insurance Review
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Washington?
Based on our research, we found that pet insurance for dogs in Washington costs between $35 and $175 per month, and pet insurance for cats costs between $10 and $39 per month.
- Species: It’s common to be quoted higher prices on pet insurance for dogs than for cats, as dogs are more likely to develop expensive health issues. This leads to more expensive premiums for our canine friends.
- Breed: Smaller and mixed breeds are often quoted at lower rates than large dogs. More sizable breeds like Great Danes or Golden Retrievers are typically more likely to develop liver, heart, and vision problems as they grow older, as well as hip dysplasia.
- Customization: The deductible, reimbursement rate, and coverage cap that you choose can greatly affect your premium price. Choosing a lower deductible with a higher annual coverage cap and reimbursement rate can raise your premium, while a higher deductible and lower coverage cap and reimbursement rate will lower it. For example, a policy with a $15,000 annual limit and $250 deductible for a 4-year-old cat would be $27.73 per month with Fetch, while the same policy would be only $15.47 per month with a lower $5,000 coverage cap and higher $500 deductible.
- Age: As pets grow older, they tend to develop age-related conditions like dementia, arthritis, and cancer. That’s why premiums for pet insurance increase as a pet ages, especially after the age of 6.
Frequently Asked Questions
We recommend getting a free quote from Lemonade for the best overall pricing and pet insurance in Washington. Pet owners wanting more flexible coverage options with their plan may prefer Embrace, Spot, or ASPCA. Fetch’s robust benefits make it a great option for full coverage, though larger or older dogs may be quoted higher prices.
Comparing the Top Pet Insurance Providers in Washington State
We recommend getting quotes from at least three companies to compare plan pricing in your area.
|Provider||Sample monthly premium*||Number of Plans and Add-Ons|
*Based on sample quotes for a mixed 4-year-old dog in Seattle, WA, with a 98103 ZIP code
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at email@example.com.