A pet insurance policy can give you peace of mind and reassure you that your four-legged friend will be protected if they’re injured or become ill.
The This Old House Reviews Team has thoroughly researched the Sooner State’s best pet insurance companies, evaluating their plan costs, coverage options, claims processes, customer experience, and more.
|Spot||Most Customizable Plans|
|Fetch by the Dodo||Best Holistic Coverage|
Lemonade is our highest-rated pet insurance company, providing affordable coverage, flexible policy options, and a straightforward and resourceful mobile app.
- Our score: 96
- Provides up to $100,000 in coverage, which is more than other pet insurance providers in this review
- Provides optional wellness and extended protection add-ons
- Has a mobile app that streamlines claims and lets you track your pet’s health
Lemonade lost a few points in our review due to its lower rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB). However, the majority of complaints are centered around Lemonade’s renters insurance and homeowners insurance products.
Pros and Cons of Lemonade Pet Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Lemonade:
✔ Has a two-day waiting period for accidents, which is shorter than most providers’ waiting periods
✔ Consistently provides more competitively priced plans than other providers
✔ Offers a 10% discount for bundling pet and home insurance policies
✘ Excludes behavioral issues and dental treatment from coverage
✘ Can be challenging to reach customer support
Lemonade Plans and Coverage
Lemonade’s accident and illness plan covers diagnostic tests, procedures, hospitalizations, emergency care, and medications if your dog or cat gets sick or is injured.
Qualifying incidents include:
- General sickness
- Heart disease
- Broken bones
- Hip dysplasia
Along with its accident and illness plan, Lemonade offers add-ons for veterinary care fees and physical therapy. There is also an optional preventative care add-on for vaccinations, annual exams, and bloodwork, which ranges from $16–$25 per month for dogs and $10–$20 per month for cats.
A Lemonade policy does not cover elective procedures, pre-existing conditions, or behavioral treatment.
Get Your Free Quote: Lemonade Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Lemonade Pet Insurance Review
We found that Spot provides top-rated policies to Oklahoma pet owners who want customizable coverage with their choice from seven different annual limits and two coverage plans.
- Our score: 91
- Has a wide range of annual coverage limit options between $2,500 and unlimited, depending on your preference and budget
- Provides a 10% multi-pet discount
- Includes access to a 24/7 telehealth line to help you get your pet health questions answered before taking your animal to the vet
Spot Pros and Cons
✔ Covers microchipping in standard policies, unlike most competitors
✔ Offers an accident-only coverage plan with standard pricing that doesn’t vary by your pet’s age or breed
✔ Includes vet visit and exam fee coverage without additional monthly fees
✘ Doesn’t provide weekend customer service availability
✘ Is a younger company with only a few years of experience in the industry
Spot Plans and Coverage
Spot offers two pet insurance plans for either accident-only coverage or accident and illness coverage. The accident-only plan just helps pay for injuries, broken bones, toxic ingestions, bite wounds, and other emergencies of that nature. The accident and illness plan extends coverage to illnesses and other conditions, including congenital conditions, hip dysplasia, and cancer.
You can also purchase additional coverage from Spot for your pet’s routine care, including procedures such as vaccinations, annual exams, and dental cleanings. Its Gold plan comes with up to $250 total per year of specified limits for each treatment, and the Platinum plan comes with $450 total per year.
Get Your Free Quote: Spot Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Spot Pet Insurance Review
Embrace is best for pet owners looking for flexible deductible options. Embrace’s standard accident and illness plan has five deductibles, allowing pet parents to lower their monthly premiums by choosing a higher deductible. Embrace also offers a $50 Healthy Pet Deductible benefit, which reduces the deductible by $50 each year a claim isn’t filed.
However, Embrace’s coverage caps out at $30,000 per year, which is less than some other providers.
- Our score: 93.5
- Allows pet owners to pay as little as $0 per claim with the Healthy Pet Deductible
- Offers lower premiums than other pet insurance providers with higher deductible options
- Covers multiple chronic illnesses often excluded from accident and illness plans
Pros and Cons of Embrace Pet Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Embrace:
✔ Offers a 10% multi-pet discount
✔ Covers preventable conditions, such as parvo, parasites, and Lyme disease
✔ Features a streamlined mobile app with a 24/7 Pet Help Line
✘ Has pricier wellness add-ons than competitors
✘ Caps annual benefits at $30,000, which is lower than most competitors
Embrace Plans and Coverage
Embrace offers two levels of coverage, with a basic accident and illness plan and an optional wellness plan. The accident and illness plan covers a range of conditions, such as:
- Dental illness
- Breed-specific, genetic, and congenital conditions
- Orthopedic conditions
- Preventable conditions
- Chronic conditions
It includes emergency care, hospitalizations, procedures, prescriptions, diagnostic testing, specialist care, and some holistic treatments.
With the optional Wellness Rewards for Routine Care add-on, pet parents can select between $250 and $650 per year of reimbursement for everyday training, vet bills, and grooming costs.
While many companies review the past 24 months of your pet’s medical records to detect pre-existing conditions, Embrace factors in the last 12 months, meaning a condition from two years ago would be covered.
Get Your Free Quote: Embrace Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Embrace Pet Insurance Review
Fetch by The Dodo
Fetch makes our list of the top Oklahoma pet insurance providers for its extensive coverage that includes holistic care, which is not commonly offered by other pet insurance providers.
- Our score: 91.5
- Does not have an age cut-off for older pets, while many providers do
- Offers a plan with no policy limits, providing your pet with unlimited annual coverage for emergency illnesses and injuries
- Includes up to $1,000 of behavioral therapy coverage, which many companies do not offer with accident and illness plans
Pros and Cons of Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Fetch:
✔ Reimburses vet fees for sick visits
✔ Provides an online chat tool for customer questions
✔ Covers trip cancellation fees caused by a pet’s accident
✘ Requires an annual checkup and exams for all insured pets
✘ Doesn’t offer a preventative care add-on
Fetch by The Dodo Plans and Coverage
Fetch offers one pet health insurance plan, which includes procedures, diagnostics, testing, prescriptions, medications, and hospitalizations. It also covers a suite of holistically-minded benefits, such as:
- Stem cell therapy
- Chiropractic treatment
- Comprehensive dental care
- Emergency exam fees
While the company does not provide a routine care option, it stands out for the extra coverage featured in its standard policy, including:
- Holistic treatments such as homeotherapy, acupuncture, and stem cell therapy
- Boarding fees if you are hospitalized for four days or longer and can’t take care of your pet
- Vacation cancellation costs resulting from a pet’s emergency medical condition
- Advertising and reward money for a missing pet
Fetch does not cover routine care costs like vaccinations or elective procedures like ear cropping, unless they’re medically necessary.
Get Your Free Quote: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Fetch by The Dodo Pet Insurance Review
While Healthy Paws lacks wellness and routine care options, its basic accident and illness plan is affordable and comes with unlimited coverage.
- Our score: 93.5
- Easy policy management with online account
- No lifetime, annual, or per-incident coverage caps, meaning your policy will always be enough to foot the bill
- Competitive premiums for unlimited coverage
Pros and Cons of Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Healthy Paws:
✔ Does not restrict coverage for congenital conditions
✔ Promises a 30-day money-back guarantee
✔ Features an online quote tool for quick cost comparisons
✘ Doesn’t offer wellness care add-ons, unlike most competitors
✘ Excludes behavioral treatments
Healthy Paws Plans and Coverage
Healthy Paws offers one simple plan, providing limitless coverage for accidents and illnesses such as hereditary and congenital conditions, chronic conditions, cancer, and broken bones. The plan covers medications, hospitalizations, surgery, diagnostics, blood tests, and emergency care.
However, Healthy Paws excludes pre-existing conditions and has a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia, while some providers have only a six-month waiting period. The plan also doesn’t cover routine care, spaying, neutering, or elective procedures.
Get Your Free Quote: Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Quote
Learn more: Healthy Paws Review
Based on our research, Prudent Pet offers the most comprehensive coverage in the industry. While you can purchase an accident-only or basic accident and illness plan from Prudent Pet, the Ultimate Plan offers unlimited annual coverage and a range of extra features, such as lost pet replacement, a mortality benefit, coverage for kennel fees, and vacation cancellation reimbursements.
- Our score: 95
- Offers accident-only coverage and comprehensive plans
- Extends unlimited annual coverage
- Features a live online chat tool
Pros and Cons of Prudent Pet Insurance
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Prudent Pet Insurance:
✔ Offers a 10% discount for every additional pet added to a policy
✔ Has three flexible plans, with add-ons for wellness and exam fees
✔ Features customizable deductibles and reimbursement levels, allowing customers to create a policy that fits within their budget
✘ The Essential and Ultimate Plans are more expensive than other providers’ plans
✘ Coverage caps cannot be adjusted
Prudent Pet Plans and Coverage
Prudent Pet offers the following three plans, which feature different rates, coverage amounts, and exclusions:
- Accident-Only Plan: Prudent Pet’s most affordable plan covers accidental injuries, offering $10,000 annually for related hospitalizations, emergency visits, prescriptions, tests, surgeries, and prescribed alternative therapies.
- Essential Plan: With the Essential Plan, protection is also limited to a $10,000 annual cap but extends to treatment for cancer, congenital and hereditary conditions, general illness, eye, ear, and skin conditions, hip dysplasia, and behavioral disorders.
- Ultimate Plan: Prudent Pet’s Ultimate Plan provides the same coverage as the Essential Plan with no annual limits. It also features unique perks such as boarding and kennel fees, lost pet advertising and reward fees, lost pet replacement, mortality funds, and vacation protection.
Additionally, pet parents can extend protection with add-ons to cover exam costs with a licensed veterinarian and routine care. Vet exam coverage can be purchased for a few dollars per month, and wellness plans range from $7.95 to $19.95 per month.
Get Your Free Quote: Prudent Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Prudent Pet Pet Insurance Review
Figo’s Extra Care Pack provides broad coverage for unexpected expenses, such as vacation cancellation fees if your pet has an emergency causing you to change plans and third-party property damages your pet may cause.
- Our score: 93
- Has the Figo Pet Cloud, which helps you connect to other pet owners in your area and keep track of your pet’s medical records and documents
- Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee with all policies
- Provides a 24/7 live chat to all policyholders for pet health questions
Figo Pros and Cons
✔ Provides a 100% reimbursement rate option, which isn’t offered by any other companies in this review
✔ Has a shorter waiting period for injuries of only one day
✔ Generally has lower prices for older pets than many competitors, according to quotes
✘ Requires your pet to receive an annual checkup and dental exam to remain eligible for coverage
✘ Excludes coverage for your pet’s behavioral treatments
Figo Plans and Coverage
Figo’s pet insurance plan comes with coverage for both accidents and illnesses, including the following conditions:
- Broken bones
- Hip dysplasia
- Chronic conditions
- Ligament issues
The Extra Care Pack comes with coverage for vacation cancellation fees, third-party property damage liability up to $10,000, emergency boarding costs, burial or cremation costs, lost-pet advertising costs and reward money, and replacement costs if your pet is lost or stolen.
In addition to the Extra Care Pack, you can add coverage for your pet’s wellness care, such as vaccinations and annual checkups, at two coverage levels and costs depending on your needs and budget. Figo also provides an add-on for vet visits and exam fees.
Get Your Free Quote: Figo Pet Insurance Quote
Learn More: Figo Pet Insurance Review
Comparing the Top Pet Insurance Providers in Oklahoma
We recommend getting quotes from at least three different providers to compare plan pricing and coverage in your area.
|Spot||Most Customizable Plans|
|ASPCA||Best for New Pet Owners|
|Fetch by the Dodo||Best Holistic Coverage|
|Healthy Paws||Best Coverage Limit|
|Prudent Pet||Most Comprehensive Plan|
|Figo||Best Extra Coverage Add-On|
|Pumpkin||Best for Dental Coverage|
How Much Is Pet Insurance in Oklahoma?
Based on our research, pet insurance in Oklahoma costs an average of $15–$60 per month for dogs and $10–$25 per month for cats.
What you pay for pet insurance depends on several factors, including:
- Age: The older your pet gets, the higher its risk of injury or illness, meaning pet insurance premiums will likely increase as your pet ages. The sooner you insure your pet, the better rates you can expect.
- Breed and species: The type of pet you own factors into how much pet insurance costs because some species and breeds are at a higher risk of genetic health issues. For instance, German Shepherds are more prone to hip dysplasia and other joint complications, so they may be more expensive to insure than other breeds.
- Location: Your ZIP code can have an impact on your pet insurance rates, with higher rates being more common in metropolitan areas. For instance, if you live in Tulsa or Oklahoma City, your pet plan will likely be more expensive than if you lived in Bartlesville or Stillwater.
- Customization: The annual coverage caps, deductibles, and reimbursement level you choose can increase or decrease premiums. For example, our quote from Prudent Pet for a medium-sized mixed breed 4-year-old dog with a 90% reimbursement rate, $100 annual deductible, and unlimited annual benefits is $106.54 per month. With a 70% reimbursement rate, $1,000 annual deductible, and $10,000 coverage cap, the same dog could be insured for $20.29 per month.
- Discounts: Discounts can also help you save on pet insurance premiums. Not all pet insurance providers offer discounts, but many extend special savings for multi-pet policies, military members and veterans, and bundling pet insurance with other insurance policies, such as homeowners insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pet insurance can save you thousands of dollars if your pet is injured or gets sick, and it can grant you peace of mind that your pet is protected during an emergency. If you’re looking for pet insurance in Oklahoma, the providers on this list are highly regarded by pet owners and industry experts, and they all offer competitive protection.
Overall, Lemonade is our top choice among pet insurance providers in Oklahoma, but each of the other companies highlighted has its own unique benefits.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is dedicated to thorough, in-depth reviews of each product or service that we detail in our content. Determined to build trust with our readers through transparency, accuracy, and accountability, we’ve built a detailed rating system to score pet insurance brands. Included in this methodology are the following six factors with their respective scoring weights:
- Coverage (25)
- Plan options (20)
- Monthly cost (20)
- Company reputation (15)
- Customer service (10)
- Species eligibility (10)
Our researchers keep all data in each company’s score up to date, making any changes to our content when necessary to provide our readers with the most accurate information on relevant metrics, such as plan options, customer service, reputation, and monthly cost.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews team at firstname.lastname@example.org.