Started in 1952, ABC Home Warranty is a family-owned business located in central Ohio and run by ABC Home Services, which became a part of the IGS family of companies in 2017. In addition to providing repair services for homeowners, ABC provides assistance to realtors who are in the market for a home warranty on behalf of a client.
We’ve assessed the best home warranty companies to provide you with a reliable and objective review of various providers. Our reviews are based on several factors, including plan structure, cost, customer reviews, and more.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of ABC Home Warranty below.
ABC Home Warranty Pros and Cons
|No service fee||Very limited Core plan|
|Transparent pricing||No add-on options for Core plan|
|Sample service agreements available||Only available in Ohio|
If those are deal breakers, check out the best home warranty companies in Ohio, as well as our other recommended providers below.
ABC Home Warranty Plans and Coverage
ABC Home Services offers three home warranty packages for homeowners: the Core Home, Premier Home, and Premier Plus plan. Below, we’ve detailed the specifics about what items are covered under each plan. Note: in all three plans, the maximum coverage limit is the same for each type of product.
Plans and Coverage
|Appliances and Systems||Core||Premier||Premier Plus||Maximum Coverage Limit|
|Attic and Exhaust Fans||✓||✓||$500|
|Boiler / Furnace||✓||✓||$1,750|
|Central Air Conditioning (Ducted)||✓||✓||✓||$1,750|
|Central Vacuum System||✓||✓||$500|
|Garage Door Opener||✓||✓||$500|
|Heating Systems (Not Pump)||✓||✓||$1,750|
|Inside Sewer Line||✓|
|Inside Drain Line||✓||✓||$2,000|
|Inside Electrical System / Line||✓||✓||✓||$2,000|
|Inside Gas Line||✓||✓||✓||$2,000|
|Inside Water Line||✓||✓||$2,000|
|Instant Hot Water Dispenser||✓||✓||$500|
|Natural Gas Fireplace Components||✓||✓||$500|
|Natural Gas Lamps||✓||✓||$500|
|Outside Buried Gas House Line||✓||✓||$2,000|
|Outside Electric Line||✓||✓||$3,000|
|Outside Sewer Line||✓||✓||$8,000|
|Outside Water Line||✓||✓||$4,500|
|Range Oven Cooktop||✓||✓||$500|
In addition to these systems and appliances, ABC Home Warranty also offers coverage for optional add-ons with the Premier and Premier Plus plans. No additional options are available for the Core plan.
Limited Roof Leak Protection: $750
Pool and/or Inground Spa Equipment: $1,500
Well and Septic Protection: $4,000
Wet Bar Refrigerator/Wine Cooler/Ice Maker: $500
There are some perks, with limits of course, that come with the Premier Plus and Premier warranty plans.
- Building permits: limit of $250 per protection period
- Concrete access: limit of $500 per protection period
- Inspections, additions, and alterations: limit of $500 per protection period
- Removal, disposal, relocation of Items: limit of $500 per protection period
- Home seller protection for Premier Plus customer only
ABC Home Warranty Coverage Exclusions
To receive coverage, all items should be in proper working condition before your home warranty agreement is signed. There are also limitations for each appliance or system, the details of which can be found in each plan’s respective service agreement—the Core plan service agreement, the Premier Plan service agreement, and the Premier Plus plan service agreement.
ABC Home Warranty denies the following conditions from its coverage:
- Item is not in proper operating condition before the effective date begins
- Damage is caused by improper use, accident, handling, or improper installation
- Equipment is covered by product recall, warranty, or an extended warranty
- Loss or failures are caused by power surges, fire, storms, fire, or previously improper repairs
When equipment is beyond repairable, ABC Home Warranty will replace an appliance or system with similar features, efficiency, and capacity. If the replacement cost exceeds the provider’s maximum limits, the policyholder must make up the difference.
ABC Home Warranty Pricing
When purchasing your home warranty plan from ABC Home Services, you have the option to pay annually if buying a warranty for a new home, or annually or monthly if renewing a home warranty plan. To pay monthly, payments must be able to be charged automatically to a credit card.
Note: The cost of each home warranty plan is dependent upon the plan you choose and the size of your home. Here’s a breakdown of ABC Home Warranty plan costs.
|Plan||Protection with New Home Purchase||Renewal Protection|
|Premier Plus Home Warranty (under 5,000 square feet)||$725||$725||$60.42|
|Premier Plus Home Warranty (5,000 to 8,000 square feet)||$1,265||$1,265||$105.42|
|Premier Plus Home Warranty (Condominium)||$625||$625||$52.08|
|Premier Home Warranty||$495||$495||$41.25|
|Core Home Warranty||$420||$420||$35.00|
Some ABC home warranty plans fall right within the home warranty industry average range of $300 to $600 a year, while the Premier Plus plan is a little more expensive.
What stands out about ABC Home Services home warranty plans is the fact that no service fee is required. When a local technician or contractor is dispatched to your home for a repair or replacement, it’s at absolutely no cost to you beyond the standard plan fee. Typically, home warranty service agreements require a service fee between $75–$125 each time service is requested.
ABC Home Warranty Reviews
ABC Home Services is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating. With any top home warranty company, there will be a mix of positive and negative reviews. Here’s what some ABC Home Warranty customers have to say:
“This is our third home warranty company. The first was OK, but it was through our mortgage company, which we lost when refinanced with another company. The second was awful. ABC gets a contractor in touch with you within one business day. I have nothing but good things to say about this company.” — Lisa H, 5 stars
“Our furnace was not lighting properly. I called in the claim and waited for a week and three days for a contractor’s call that never came. I got the issue resolved myself and canceled the call. I’ve had good service from ABC in the past, but this was horrible.” — David E., 1 star
Also note ABC Home Services’ response to this negative review:
“We apologize for the delay with the contractor scheduling service. It appears we were able to resolve the issue as we dispatched a different HVAC contractor to the home on 12/31/19. We look forward to providing a better experience in the future.”
Frequently Asked Questions
The This Old House Reviews Team gives ABC Home Warranty a 8.4/10 rating. While ABC Home Services does have good home warranty options for homeowners, we believe there are better options out there for people looking for more comprehensive coverage. For one, ABC Home Services is only available in Ohio, preventing other U.S. residents from enrolling in coverage. Additionally, the Core plan, ABC’s most basic plan, doesn’t provide coverage for essential items like the refrigerator, oven, or central vacuum system.
Our Recommendation: American Home Shield
If we were to recommend one home warranty company to homeowners, it would be American Home Shield. AHS covers up to 23 critical home systems and essential appliances, provides customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and has been in business for over 48 years.
Here’s how American Home Shield stacks up against ABC Home Services:
AHS vs ABC Home Warranty
|Provider||American Home Shield||ABC Home Services|
|Best for||Coverage||Ohio residents|
|Sample Contract Provided||Yes||Yes|
|Number of Plans||3||3|
|Average Lowest Cost||$500||$420|
|# of States Covered||49||1 (Ohio)|
|Excluded States||Alaska||49 states, excluding Ohio|
|Waiting Period||30 Days||Not Available|
|Service Fee||$75, $100 or $125||$0|
|Years in Business||48||31|
|Average Trustpilot Reviews||2.5 Stars||2.6|
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers, and we aim to provide transparency in our review standards and research process.
Our research process includes speaking with representatives from more than 40 home warranty providers, requesting quotes, and asking clarifying questions to gain insight into each provider’s benefits and downsides. We also analyze sample contracts from each company to understand specific coverage terms.
To rate companies, we apply the data we have gathered to our review standards. These standards are on a 100-point scoring system, which is detailed below:
- Coverage (35 points): Providers are scored based on breadth and depth of coverage. We focused on key home systems (HVAC, plumbing, and electrical), essential appliances (refrigerator, ovens, and laundry machines), and unique coverage items (such as roof-leak coverage and code violation allowances). Coverage scores are weighted by taking into account coverage caps and other limiting factors, meaning providers with greater range of coverage and higher coverage caps score the highest.
- Value (30 points): A company’s plan value is a reflection of how well it serves the customer in comparison to what the customer pays for the policy. We accounted for monthly costs, service call fees, and cost flexibility (such as customizable service call fees, discounts, and multi-year policies).
- Trustworthiness and Transparency (21 points): Trustworthiness and transparency are a reflection of how well the provider considers the customer’s interests. We scored items such as the length of workmanship guarantees, online availability of a sample contract, policy change flexibility, and ease of cancellation. Additionally, we scored items that reflect industry reputation and customer satisfaction, including analyzing brand reputation across the Better Business Bureau and third-party customer review aggregators.
- Availability and Service (14 points): Quality of customer service is key to customer satisfaction. We dug into each provider’s guaranteed response times, claims processes, service flexibility, emergency availability, and more.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.