Home>Discussions>PAINTING & FINISHING>Whitewashing interior of 100+year old building. Can whitewashed be sprayed on?
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gary59
Whitewashing interior of 100+year old building. Can whitewashed be sprayed on?

Have on old building used as a workshop. No interior walls, the walls are the clapboard siding(outside). I really need to lighten up the space (very dark). Can whitewash be sprayed on? If so, what recipe should I use?

dj1
Re: Whitewashing interior of 100+year old building. Can whitewashed be sprayed on?

I don't see why not.

In fact, any white, compatible to your clapboard composition will do.

Clarence
Re: Whitewashing interior of 100+year old building. Can whitewashed be sprayed on?

Lime wash is a mixture of Quicklime and water.
Lime wash used on the interior would last longer than that used on the exterior ( would last 3 / 5 years on exterior )
Why don't you look into the use of a Lime Paint or a Mineral coating which is Lime and binders.
As for spraying you would most likely need a special type sprayer not just a paint sprayer.
You could use something like a hopper type sprayer.

Sombreuil_mongrel

Whitewash is not normally amenable towards binding onto wood. To masonry, yes. So spraying's lack of penetration that you normally get by brushing it into the surface could cause it to fail spectacularly. If you are serious about using a lime whitewash on wood, try to find an old recipe somewhere, like one that has rabbit glue as an ingredient.
Casey

Clarence

A recipe for Hide Glue binder 1 Part Ground Hide glue 7 Parts Water.
Let soak for about 1 Hour than heat to 140 / 150 degrees and stir. Do NOT over heat.
I used a crock pot to heat / Double boiler also works.
Add Dry Lime to this mixture to the desired thickness. ( heavy cream )
This recipe is for plaster walls & ceilings I never used it on wood.
It maybe more cost effective to buy white Primer for your project ?

ordjen

Why would you want to use 100 year old paint technology? Use a good grade acrylic based primer such as Kilz 2 or Zinser 123, followed by a coat of relatively inexpensive contractors grade interior latex paint. You will minimize any tannin bleed through if you wait 24 hours between the primer and finish coat. If you slightly darken the white paint and the primerwith a touch of raw umber and lamp black, you will get really good coverage while still looking bright white. There will be no problems spraying the latex/acrylic paint through an airless sprayer.

A. Spruce
ordjen wrote:

Why would you want to use 100 year old paint technology? Use a good grade acrylic based primer such as Kilz 2 or Zinser 123, followed by a coat of relatively inexpensive contractors grade interior latex paint. You will minimize any tannin bleed through if you wait 24 hours between the primer and finish coat. If you slightly darken the white paint and the primerwith a touch of raw umber and lamp black, you will get really good coverage while still looking bright white. There will be no problems spraying the latex/acrylic paint through an airless sprayer.

This is my question and recommendation as well. Why try to get all fancy, spray on the primer and cheap paint and be done with it.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.