3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Types of duct work

Hi I have a a new hot water heater that i want to install. The types of flue pipe to use are aluminum? galvanized? or stainless. I wanted to see about going right into the existing chimney chase to vent it. No pass thru any wall etc. What are the uses of these types of duct. THanks :confused:

Re: Types of duct work

The vents sold today are made from galvanized sheet metal.

I assume you have a gas water heater, and it has to be vented to the outside. Cap the vent w/water heater vent cap - it allows the gases out and blocks the rain from coming in.

Re: Types of duct work

B-vent pipes are galvanized. However, chimney liners are aluminum and stainless steel. You can use aluminium in most cases for a standard efficiency non-condensing gas appliance. However, I'd still use stainless steel for durability and longevity.

FOr what it will cost you to reline the chimney, you might consider going to a condensing tankless water heater and use PVC for the vent. I have a Navien in my home and installed it for that same reason. Rather than reline the chimney, I installed a water heater I could vent with PVC.... along with other benefits like the model's built-in recirculation pump and mini storage tank. Endless hot water isn't bad either.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.