Blackout curtains can enhance any room’s aesthetic while protecting you from unwanted light, temperature, and sound. Regardless of your need for blackout curtains, the many options available online makes selecting a pair an overwhelming task. That’s why we’ve researched what makes a good blackout curtain and established a list of the five best blackout curtains available on Amazon.
Blackout curtains provide an array of benefits to customers, including adding a unique design to your home’s decor and blocking unwanted sunlight. Take a look at some of the benefits of owning blackout curtains:
- Enhanced sleep quality—We’ve all experienced the difficulty of falling asleep. Blackout curtains can help many people, including shift workers, fall asleep by manipulating the amount of light that enters a room. Blackout curtains can improve your sleeping environment by making it pitch black, synchronizing your circadian rhythm, and easing you into a restful sleep.
- Lowered risk of depression—The American Journal of Epidemiology published a study linking depression to the amount of light exposure a person receives during sleep. These sleep disruptions caused by unwanted light exposure can be minimized with the help of blackout curtains, helping your quality of sleep.
- Reduced energy costs—Blackout curtains are a cost-effective way of saving money on electric bills. Many curtains are lined with insulation to keep warm air out during the summer, so that your home can become more energy efficient.
- Provide better privacy—The lining in blackout curtains blocks not only the sun’s rays but unwanted eyes from looking in. Blackout curtains are a great purchase if you live alongside a busy street or in the middle of a city.
- Reduces outside noise—Blocking outside noise is a feature of some blackout curtains. To make sure that you’re receiving curtains with noise-reducing qualities, check that they’re made with a dense material.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Blackout Curtains
Before committing to a pair of blackout curtains, there are a few factors you should consider while shopping around. Below are some considerations you should weigh before you buy:
- Composition: Not all blackout curtains are the same. Some brands may claim their curtains block sunlight when in reality they merely dim the light. When searching for blackout curtains, make sure that they’re lined with quality blackout fabric, like the triple-weaved NICETOWN Blackout Curtain Panels.
- Variety: While black curtains are often selected, this color may not mesh well with your room’s aesthetic. The good news is quality blackout curtains come in a variety of colors and sizes.
- Size—Many blackout curtains come in a wide range of sizes. To prevent light from leaking in, ensure the entire window frame is covered by your curtains. When in doubt, go a size up when purchasing blackout curtains to allow them to fully cover your window.
- Ease of installation—Most blackout curtains are simply looped through a curtain rod during installation, however, ensure your selected brand offers a hassle-free installation. For example, the Utopia Bedding Blackout Curtains come with large, 1.6 inch grommets that easily slide through most curtain rods.
- Features—While all effective blackout curtains prevent sunlight from reaching your bedroom or living space, some brands have more features than others. Depending on your need, you may want curtains that block sunlight, reduce the amount of heat let into the room, and reduce background noise, like the BGment Blackout Curtains.
- Price—While most blackout curtains are affordable, it’s important to balance quality and price. It might be tempting to go for the most affordable selection, but keep in mind a quality blackout curtain will last you for years to come and can even help you save money on your electric bill.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are blackout curtains?
Blackout curtains are window covers that are lined with fabric that’s designed to prevent outdoor light from penetrating through the window frame. The amount of light these curtains block varies with the material used, though foam-lined products tend to have better blocking abilities.
There are two types of foam-lined fabrics: a 2-pass blackout and a 3-pass blackout. A 2-pass blackout curtain receives two coats of foam lining while a 3-pass receives one more additional layer.
Do blackout curtains keep out heat?
Yes. Blackout curtains are some of the most affordable products for keeping a room cool. Its inner lining of dense foam is intertwined throughout the fabric to trap heat and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
What are energy saving curtains?
Energy saving curtains protect your home from the heat transfer that occurs through your window’s glass and gaps. Without these curtains, hot air is able to seep through your window during the summer and escape the room during the winter. Energy saving curtains are great for living rooms where multiple windows are found.
How do you clean blackout curtains?
Here are some of the best ways to clean blackout curtains:
- Spot cleaning: Rub the visible stain with a damp cloth. If the stain isn’t removed after the first clean, try a dab of dish detergent on the stain before rubbing it with a damp cloth.
- Vacuum: To reduce the amount of dust, dander, and dirt in the air, it’s recommended that you vacuum your curtains once a month. The best way to do this is to use a vacuum with a long attachment to reach the folds and top parts of the curtain.
- Steam cleaning: If you prefer a more thorough clean, steam cleaning is a solid option as it’s effective at removing allergens and odor-causing bacteria.
- Washing machine: Not all blackout curtains can be thrown in the washer. However, those that can should have a manufacturer’s tag that confirms that the curtains are machine washable.
Why Trust The This Old House Reviews Team
This Old House has empowered homeowners for more than four decades with top-notch home improvement content in the form of television programs, print media, and digital content on its website and social media platforms. The This Old House Reviews Team focuses on creating in-depth product and service review content to help inform your purchasing decision for just about any item or resource that you might need for your home. The This Old House Reviews Team has written over 1,000 reviews on products in the home space, from cordless drills to kitchen trash cans, lawn mowers, and dining room decorations.
We recommend products in each review using an intensive research process, spending hours combing through the best available models on Amazon. For a product to make our list of top picks, it must hold a solid sales record on Amazon, have consistently positive customer reviews, and offer unique features, among other factors. After narrowing down our list of recommendations, we conduct additional research and sometimes in-person testing to ensure that the products meet our standards. Once we conclude the research phase, we craft a well-rounded, user-friendly article that includes our recommended products and additional information to help homeowners like you make the right purchase.