2 out of 5Easy to Moderatedepending on the complexity of the tile pattern
About 1 hour to set 8 to 10 square feet of tile
In this video, This Old House tile contractor Joe Ferrante explains how to set ceramic tile in a subway pattern.
How to set tile
- Apply thin coat of tile mastic or thinset to cement backerboard with smooth edge of a notched trowel.
- Use the notched edge of trowel to apply thicker bed of mastic to wall.
- Start setting bullnose tile along edge of the wall.
- Press each tile firmly into the mastic to create a strong, lasting bond.
- Set the field tile alongside the bullnose, working your way across the wall.
- Maintain consistent spacing between tiles; if necessary, place tile spacers between the tiles.
- Allow mastic or thinset to cure before grouting the joints between the tile.