As an industry leader in solar energy, Solar Optimum protects its customers with six comprehensive warranties, recognizing that a system only benefits customers when it’s at its full potential. Read our review on Solar Optimum services, installation, and warranties to decide if they’re the best solar provider for your home.
To see solar pricing and available incentives in your area, fill out this simple form.
Is Solar Optimum Worth It?
Solar Optimum offers six solar panel warranties coupled with local customer service and installation experts. The company’s A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and free online solar guide makes them a good choice for those who are interested in solar panel installation in California.
Compare the advantages and disadvantages of Solar Optimum below.
Pros and Cons of Solar Optimum
|Protects solar energy systems with six warranties||Only available in the state of California|
|Offers a free online guide to going solar||Doesn’t provide pricing information online|
|Provides customer support through an online chat service|
Solar Optimum Solar Power Services
Solar Optimum helps customers reach their solar energy goals through residential and commercial solar installation and solar battery storage solutions.
Solar Panel Installation
Solar Optimum manages residential installations from start to finish, beginning with an at-home consultation.
- Consultation—Solar Optimum provides a free at-home consultation, confirming your home’s ability to support a solar system. Factors like household electrical demand and the size and shape of your roof affect your home’s compatibility with a system.
- Conversation—After evaluating your home, Solar Optimum’s local experts will answer any questions you have regarding solar panels and your specific installation plan.
- Financing—Solar Optimum will walk you through their financing options and teach you about available solar incentives.
- Design—Based on your home’s infrastructure and energy consumption, Solar Optimum designs a solar energy system to fit your needs.
- Installation—Once Solar Optimum completes the necessary paperwork, their installation specialists will install your personalized solar panel system. For most projects, the entire process takes six to eight weeks.
Solar Optimum’s commercial counterpart follows a process similar to residential installation, with the company designing, building, and managing the entire project. While a residential solar system is installed on a customer’s roof, Solar Optimum provides its commercial customers with different installation methods like ground-mount solar and carport solar.
Solar Battery Installation
If your solar panels generate more electricity than your home requires, installing a solar battery allows you to store the excess power for future use at night or during a power outage. For residential customers, Solar Optimum offers the Tesla Powerwall solar battery, which holds up to 13.5 kilowatt-hours (kWh) and comes with a 10-year warranty.
Cost of System Installation from Solar Optimum
To receive a quote from Solar Optimum, customers must provide their address and most recent utility bill. Using this information, Solar Optimum can create a preliminary proposal that’s shared with you during your at-home consultation.
To give you an idea of how much a system from Solar Optimum costs, we received a quote for a three-bedroom home in San Jose, California.
|System Size||System Cost||System Production (Yearly)|
|10.23 kW||$29,667||14,882 kWh|
Solar Optimum allows customers to finance, lease, or purchase their solar panel system. Customers also have the option to enter into a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), which allows customers to pay for generated power without owning the system.
Solar Optimum Warranties and Accreditations
Solar Optimum ensures complete protection of installed systems through six comprehensive 25-year warranties:
- Performance guarantee
Solar Optimum guarantees a base-level of production for its solar panels. If your panels underperform, Solar Optimum will resolve the issue and compensate you during your panel’s downtime.
Solar Optimum Reviews
Solar Optimum is accredited by the BBB and holds an A+ rating from the company. Here’s a sample of Solar Optimum customer reviews:
“We contacted Solar Optimum for quote after having already talked to several other installers and Solar Optimum is clearly a step above the rest. It was a no-brainer for us to sign with them for our solar system. We had a 6kW Panasonic system installed on our home to save money because we are a family of five and we use a lot of electricity. After we had our system installed, we actually noticed a huge difference almost right away.“ — Dimitry S.
“Overall great company to deal with. Very prompt with scheduling and great job on installation. Best part is, when you call, you actually get to talk to a person! It seems like the company is smaller in regard to other competitors, but is nice because requests and questions do not get lost in the abyss!“ — Rory T.
“I have made numerous attempts to get this company to do what they said they would do. I’ve been lied to, calls not returned. They have a referral program that they refuse to honor. Very poor customer service, I’m sorry I used this company. Would never recommend them.” — Marquita R.
“Please do not go with Solar Optimum. They gave me a low bid on Solar Power on our roof. My wife and I decided we were going to go with them. I told him 100 times that I have a clay roof. He constantly assured me that was included in the bid. Before finalizing, Ryan calls me and says their contractor needs to go out there and what they need to inspect and it will be an additional amount for each tile that needs to be replaced. What a bait and switch. Send us a low ball bid and then changes it later. Avoid at all costs. There are so many other reputable solar companies out there.“ — Ronald B.
*BBB information accurate as of May 2022
If you value responsive customer service and comprehensive warranty coverage, choosing Solar Optimum may be a good option for you and your home. Although the solar company is confined to California, it offers quality solar panel installation with support from start to finish.
If you’re interested in Solar Optimum, we recommend getting a few quotes. Use this tool to get matched with pricing and providers in your area.
Compare Solar Optimum to Other Solar Providers
|Provider||Solar Optimum||Sunrun||ADT Solar (formerly Sunpro Solar)|
|Solar services||Solar panel installation and battery back-up||Solar panel and battery back-up sales and installation||Solar panel and battery back-up sales and installation|
|Cost||N/A||As little as $6 for the first six months||N/A|
|Service areas||California||Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington D.C., Wisconsin||Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas|
|Panels offered||REC and Panasonic solar panels||N/A||N/A|
|Warranty length||25-year panels, inverter, racking, roof, workmanship, and performance warranty||10–25 years||25-year power production, panel, inverter, and labor warranty|
|Payment options||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease, power purchase agreement||Buy, finance, lease|
Solar Optimum Overview
- Company name: Solar Optimum Inc.
- Company type: Private
- CEO: Arno Aghamalian
- Years in business: 11
- Address: 614 West Colorado Street, Glendale, CA 91204
- Phone: 818-804-3122
- Website: https://www.solaroptimum.com/
Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Optimum
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Rating Methodology
The This Old House Reviews Team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparent reviews and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations. Our rating system for solar panel companies and installers is on a 100-point scale based on five factors:
- Payment options (40 points): Options include purchase, loan, lease, and Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs). Companies receive points for each of those four options it provides.
- Solar services (30 points): Does the company provide in-house installation of solar panels and battery backups? Can the company also monitor energy production and perform energy-efficiency audits to ensure system performance. The more options available, the higher the score.
- Warranty options (10 points): The success of a residential solar system depends on the workmanship, performance guarantees, and length of product coverage. We score solar companies based on the number of warranty options available. The more warranties a solar company offers, the higher the score it receives.
- State Availability (10 points): We award the most points to solar companies with the broadest service area and state availability.
- Reputation (10 points): We factor in how the Business Better Bureau (BBB) scores each company. We deduct points for any alerts or pending lawsuits.