The 1960 project house is progressing with an eye toward accessibility while staying true to the aesthetic of the mid-century modern design that is clearly visible from the front of the house.
There, Charlie Silva and building engineer Ross Trethewey assist with running the new geothermal pipes from the previously dug wells into the house.
While most of the framing throughout the house is done, more attention is required in son Caffrey’s bedroom. Kevin O’Connor gives Tom Silva a hand installing wood blocking for a future ceiling-mounted assistive device.
The work takes them into the ensuite, where accessibility consultant Jackie Dobson reviews the bathroom’s blocking needs based on her accessible design plan and shares options for retrofitting grab bars in existing spaces.
Though effort was made to save the brick walls throughout the original portion of the home, the same could not be done for the original concrete slab because of new stricter energy codes. Removal of the original concrete slab allowed for the new HVAC ducts to be run and insulation to be sprayed before the new slab was poured.
Heath Eastman uses a mockup of the new floor system on top of the slab to locate a height on the brick wall where he can feed new electrical wires and not have them visible. To avoid damaging the old brick, Mark McCullough assists with removing the old receptacle boxes and drilling into the original brick.
Original Air Date: Nov 2, 2023, Season 45; Ep. 6 23:40
Products and resources from this episode
- Expert architectural assistance: Ruhl Jahnes
- Framing contractor: TJ Berky Builders
- Sheathing/Insulating panels manufacturer: Huber Engineered Woods
- Heating/Cooling engineer: TE2 Engineering, LLC
- Geothermal drilling and connection: Skillings and Sons, LLC
- Accessibility solutions showroom: Home Healthsmith
- Accessibility consultant: Solutions for Accessibility
- Lift system: Lift & Care Systems
- Concrete cutting services: Jack Doherty Contracting, Concrete Cutting Specialists
- Spray foam insulating specialists: Anderson Insulation
- HVAC contractor: Back Bay Mechanical Heating & Air Conditioning
- Concrete slab builders: Town and Country Masonry