Kevin O’Connor gives a tour of the progress and shares the upcoming changes, including the new wall of glass with a zero-threshold sliding glass door leading to the back patio.
A temporary wall has been put in place to support the demolition of the existing wall. Charlie and Tom Silva then begin framing the new slider by removing the old wall, cutting back the old sill, and extending the existing overhangs as per architectural plans.
Kevin later meets with Richard Trethewey at his shop for a full lesson on the new geothermal system chosen to heat and cool the home.
The drilling of the geothermal wells is taking place back at the house. Ross Trethewey, the heating and cooling engineer on this project, explains how he designed the system and the process for drilling the wells.
At the front of the house, footings are in place and have been backfilled to receive the new steel columns and 33-foot beam, which will be the entrance’s focal point. Tom explains the process of the columns and beam being installed while Charlie assists.
Original Air Date: Oct 26, 2023, Season 45; Ep. 5 23:42
Products and resources from this episode
- Framing contractor: TJ Berky Builders
- Hot water heater manufacturer: Thermo2000
- Hybrid hot water heater manufacturer: Ruud
- Geothermal drilling: Skillings and Sons, LLC
- Geothermal heat pump manufacturer: Enertech
- Heating/Cooling engineer: TE2 Engineering, LLC
- Crane operator: Quinn Brothers of Essex, Inc.