In this video, Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron installs an outdoor wall sconce and recessed lights at an old church that now serves as a house.
1. Ensure power feed is safely turned off at the circuit breaker panel.
2. Trace the pancake electrical junction box in desired position on the outdoor wall.
3. Use a hammer drill to drill into granite (if applicable) or cut outdoor siding using a hole saw.
4. Chip out remaining structure using a chisel.
5. Fish wire through the hole in the electrical box and secure with a wire clamp.
6. Secure the pancake electrical junction box into the structure using a driver.
7. Attach the sconce bracket to the electrical box using a screwdriver.
8. Splice wire connections together using pliers and cover with wire nuts.
9. Cut holes in the ceiling structure with a hole saw (if applicable).
10. Splice wires together using pliers and cover with wire nuts.
11. Place the recessed lighting housings inside the ceiling holes. Use tabs on the fixture to secure the housing to the top of the ceiling.
12. Insert the recessed trim to cover the recessed housings.