Tools & Materials
In this video, Ask This Old House master electrician Scott Caron helps a homeowner install fiesta string lights to get the party started in Texas.
1. Find an existing power source and turn off the electricity.
2. Measure out the existing amount of flexible conduit needed to extend to the outdoor light switch box.
3. Use three separate wire conductors instead of a pre-made cable, fit those through the flexible conduit and into the existing power source.
4. Splice existing wires to new wire conductors with pliers and cover with wire nuts.
5. With splices complete, reconnect the outlet.
6. Using a driver, screw in the outdoor light switch box.
7. Place conduit into outdoor light switch box.
8. Using a driver, screw in the outdoor outlet box.
9. Feed a second set of flexible conduit, extend the wiring to the outdoor outlet box.
10. Splice wires together at both boxes using pliers and wire nuts.
11. Using eyelet hooks, run two stainless steel guide wires under tension across the roof.
12. Using “S” hooks crisscross the lights across the guide wires.
13. Plug in the light cord.