How to Repair a Skewed Door
In this how-to video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva fixes a cockeyed door in mere minutes
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to repair a skewed door.
1. Close door and check the spacing at the top and latch-side of the door.
2. Determine which hinge must be shimmed to adjust door and create even spacing.
3. Remove appropriate hinge from door and jamb.
4. Hold door hinge against cardboard and use utility knife to cut around hinge; cut several shims.
5. Set two or three cardboard shims in the hinge mortises on the door and jamb, then replace the hinge.
6. Install shims behind other hinges, if necessary.
7. Close the door and check the spacing.
8. If necessary, add or subtract shims until the door latches properly and closes without binding.
See products and services from this episode