How to Paint an Exterior Metal Door
Ask This Old House painter Mauro Henrique teaches a homeowner how to paint a metal front entry door
- Remove the door from its hinge pins with the hammer and place it on the sawhorses.
- Remove the hardware from the door and place it somewhere safe.
- Lightly sand the door with 400-grit sandpaper.
- Use the vacuum with the dust attachment to clean off the door, then wipe it down with a wet rag.
- Pour the paint into a tray. Cut around the panels of the door or any other trim details using the paint brush.
- Switch to a microfiber paint roller to paint the rest of the door. To minimize stroke marks, use long strokes and light pressure on the roller.
- Let the door sit for an hour or two until dry, then apply the second coat.
- Allow the second coat to dry, and then rehang the door.
Other supplies for this project, including foam rollers and a synthetic angled sash brush, are sold at home centers and paint supply stores.
Expert assistance with this segment was provided by Mauro’s Painting.