How to Install Room-By-Room Zoning in an HVAC System
Ask This Old House plumbing expert Richard Trethewey learns about an HVAC system that allows each room to be zoned out using smartphone technology.
$3,000 (costs will vary based on house size)
- Install AA batteries in the motorized vents to replace current manual vents in all the rooms in your home. You may need a screwdriver to remove some of the vents.
- Install plug-in sensors in outlets in each room of your home.
- Connect wireless hub to your router using an Ethernet wire.
- You may need to replace your existing thermostat with one compatible with this system.
- Download the app on your smartphone and monitor the temperature in each room. You’ll be able to control your desired temperature up or down.