How to Install a Programmable Thermostat
In this how-to video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey shows how to install an automatic, fully programmable thermostat
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey explains how to install a programmable thermostat.
Steps:1. Turn off service switch at boiler.
2. Pull off cover from existing thermostat.
3. Unscrew thermostat from its wall-mounted sub-base.
4. Loosen wires connected to thermostat's sub-base.
5. Remove the old sub-base.
6. Hold sub-base of new thermostat to wall and connect red wire to "R" screw terminal, and white wire to "W" screw terminal.
7. Drill new screw-mounting holes for sub-base.
8. Push plastic wall anchors flush into holes and screw sub-base to wall.
9. Insert batteries into the thermostat and snap on the cover.
10. Turn the service switch back on.
11. Program the desired on/off time and temperature of the thermostat.