How to Install a Portable Air Conditioner
In this how-to video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey offers a quick and easy way to cool off a room
In this video, This Old House plumbing and heating contractor Richard Trethewey explains how to get air conditioning where window units aren't practical.
1. If there's no existing wall vent, use a jigsaw to cut a 4-inch-diameter hole through an exterior wall.
2. Apply silicone caulk to rear flange on wall vent.
3. From outside, slide wall vent through hole in wall; secure with stainless steel screws.
4. Twist and lock the flexible duct to the exhaust port on rear of air conditioner unit.
5. Connect the duct end to the wall vent and seal with foil duct tape.
6. Plug air conditioner unit into an electrical outlet.
7. Turn on unit, then set thermostat and, if desired, the automatic timer.