How to Identify PVC Pipes and Fittings
Ask This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey gives a tutorial on the types of PVC pipes and fittings
In this video, Ask This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey gives a tutorial on the types of PVC pipes and fittings.
1. Richard explains that for drainage in the U.S., we typically use white PVC pipes (and occasionally black ABS pipes). They come in a variety of sizes, ranging from ½-inch to 5-inch.
2. Richard says the standard for joining two PVC pipes is a coupling for a straight fitting.
3. However, if angles come into play, you'll choose from several different degrees including 22, 45, 60, and 90.
4. When fitting three pipes together, plumbers usually use a tee. Sometimes a wye fitting is needed.
5. Use a double tee to connect multiple sinks to the same drainpipe. There's also a double wye fitting which is comparable to the double tee.
6. All of these fittings and pipes can be found at the home center or a plumbing supply store.