How to Clean and Restain a Deck
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva breathes new life into a weather-beaten wood deck
In this how-to video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva breathes new life into a weather-beaten wood deck.
1. In the backpack pump sprayer, mix a one-to-one ratio of biodegradable wood cleaner to water.
2. Use a garden hose to wet down the entire deck.
3. Spray the wood cleaner solution onto the deck and railings, then wait 10 minutes.
4. Scrub the wood surface with a stiff-bristle brush to remove loosened dirt and grime.
5. Rinse the deck clean with a garden hose.
6. In a bucket, pour one part borate (in this case, Tom used Bora-Care) and five parts of water, and mix well using a cordless drill fitted with a paint-mixing paddle.
7. Pour the borate solution into the pump sprayer and apply it to the deck and railings to kill algae.
8. Let the deck dry for two or three days.
9. Mix one gallon of oil-based deck stain with ½ pint of exterior-grade varnish.
10. Apply two stain coats with a sponge applicator.
11. Come the following spring, apply a final coat of stain.